The USF Bulls defeated Liberty Flames 4-2, ending the Flames' five-game winning streak, Saturday evening at USF Baseball Stadium.
Liberty right-hander Noah Skirrow and USF right-hander Alec Wisely locked in a pitchers' duel throughout the evening, as neither side had a hitter with more than one hit in the contest.
Liberty drops to 10-4 on the season. Despite the lost the Flames have won nine of their last 11 contests. South Florida moves 7-5.
Box Score Highlights Records: Liberty (10-4); USF (7-5) Location: Tampa, Fla. (USF Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 788 WP: Alec Wisely (1-2) | LP: Noah Skirrow (1-1) | SV: Nelson Alvarez (2)
Scoring Summary USF – 1st INNING – Genord doubles, Santos scores, 1-0 USF – 3rd INING – Phillips singles, Santos scores, 2-0 LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Locklear flies out, Wagner scores, 2-1 USF – 4th INNING – Sullivan homers, Dietrich scores, 4-1 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Guy scores on wild pitch, 4-2
Notable Numbers - Liberty outhit USF, 5-3, in the contest. Each team committed an error.
- USF right-hander Wisely scattered five hits, all singles, in yielding two runs over seven-plus innings. He struck out two and walked one.
- Flames starting pitcher Skirrow allowed four runs on two hits over six innings. The sophomore struck out 10 and walked three. He closed out his outing by retiring the last seven batters he faced.
- Liberty shortstop Cam Locklear singled and drove in a run with a sacrifice fly in the fourth inning. Locklear has driven in eight runs over the last five games. The junior leads the Flames with 11 RBI.
- In the eighth inning, Flames center fielder Jaylen Guy stole two bases and scored on a wild pitch. Guy leads Liberty with seven stolen bases.
- Bulls third baseman Jake Sullivan hit a two-run home run in the fourth inning, his first of 2019.
Turning Point Trailing 2-0 in the top of the fourth, Liberty loaded the bases with one out, but came away with only one run. Wisely was able to get out the jam with a sacrifice fly to score a run and then a pop out to shortstop to keep USF's edge at 2-1.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty won the first game of the three-game series 6-4 on Friday.
- Second baseman Will Wagner extended his team-high hitting streak to nine games with liner through the right side of the sixth.
- Third baseman Tyler Galazin singled in the fourth extending his hitting streak to six games.
- Designated hitter Logan Mathieu was hit with a pitch in the second inning. The sophomore has reached base safely in all 14 Liberty games this season.
Up Next Liberty and USF will meet again, tomorrow in the final game of their three-game weekend series at USF Baseball Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 12:30 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram