The Liberty Flames dumped the Maine Black Bears 7-1 in a rain-shortened contest, Sunday afternoon at Liberty Baseball Stadium. The contest was halted in the bottom of the seventh inning due to inclement weather.
With the victory, the Flames sweep the Black Bears in a three-game series, this weekend.
Left-hander Joseph Adametz records his second victory in as many starts. The freshman pitched 6 1/3 innings, allowing one run on two hits. He struck out three and walked three.
Flames second baseman Will Wagner collected three hits, including two doubles, and two RBI in the contest. Third baseman Tyler Galazin also had two hits and two RBI.
Liberty improves to 8-3 on the season. Maine falls to 0-10.
Box Score Highlights Records: Maine (0-10); Liberty (8-3) Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Liberty Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 1,004 WP: Joseph Adametz (2-0) | LP: Ben Terwilliger (0-1) Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Locklear doubles, Wagner scores, 1-0 LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Wagner singles, Embry scores, 2-0 LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Galazin singles, Betts and Guy score, 4-0 LIBERTY – 6TH INNING – Rohrer singles, Betts and Buy score, 6-0 LIBERTY- 6TH INNING – Wagner doubles, Galazin scores, 7-0 MAINE – 7th INNING – Pasic flies out, Casals scores, 7-1
Notable Numbers - Liberty collected 10 hits in the contest. Maine was limited to two.
- Adametz gave up a single in the third and a single in the seventh.
- Wagner posted his second three-hit game of his career on Sunday. Two of his three hits were doubles.
- Galazin had two hits for the second time in the three-game series. The third baseman also collected two hits in the first game of Saturday's doubleheader.
- Outfielder Gray Betts singled for his first collegiate hit on Sunday. The freshman came on as a pinch hitter in fourth and singled in the seventh. He also was hit by a pitch, walked and scored twice.
- First baseman Logan Mathieu walked four times in the contest, tying the program record for base on balls in game.
Turning Point With Adametz keeping the Black Bears in check, the Flames took control of the contest in the fourth inning. Already leading 2-0, Liberty loaded the bases with two out. Galazin followed with a single to left, plating two runs and pushing the Liberty advantage to a 4-0 edge.
Beyond the Box Score - The Flames have won seven out of their last eight contests.
- Liberty remains unbeaten at Liberty Baseball Stadium (7-0) this season.
- Liberty outscored Maine, 17-3, over the three-game series. The Flames struck out 28 Black Bears during the series, while Liberty relievers did not allow a run in a total of seven innings on the weekend.
- Wagner went 5-for-9 (.556) with two doubles, a triple and three walks during the three-game series.
- Galazin joined Wagner with five hits in the series. Both Flames had at least one hit in each Liberty contest.
- Serving as designated hitter for the first time this season, Mathieu walked four times in the contest and is the only Flame to reach base safely in every contest this season.
Up Next Liberty will host the Virginia Tech Hokies, Tuesday to conclude their four-game homestand. First pitch scheduled for 3:30 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram