Logan Mathieu tied a career-high with three RBI in game one win, Saturday.
Liberty right-handers Andrew McInvale and Evan Brabrand combined to blank the Maine Black Bears 7-0 in game one of a doubleheader, Saturday afternoon at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
The two Liberty pitchers combined to allow six hits and strikeout 13 Black Bears in the win. McInvale allowed one hit over the first six innings, before Brabrand came on to pitch the final three innings to complete the shutout.
Liberty third baseman Tyler Galazin and first baseman Logan Mathieu had two hits apiece. Galazin scored three times, while Mathieu collected three RBI. Catcher Jonathan Embry hit his first home run of the season for Liberty in the contest.
The Flames move to 6-3 on the season. The Black Bears drop to 0-8.
Box Score Highlights Records: Maine (0-8); Liberty (6-3) Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Liberty Baseball Stadium) WP: Andrew McInvale (2-0) | LP: Peter Kemble (0-2) | SV: Evan Brabrand (2) Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Locklear walks, Galazin scores, 1-0 LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Embry homers, 2-0 LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Baughman singles, Galazin scores, 3-0 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Mathieu doubles, Wagner scores, 4-0 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Locklear singles, Mathieu scores, 5-0 LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Mathieu singles, Galazin and Rohrer score, 7-0
Notable Numbers - Liberty collected 10 hits in the contest. Eight of the nine hitters in the Flames' line-up had at least one hit. Maine had six hits.
- Galazin posted his first multi-hit game of 2019. Galazin also scored three times for the first time this season and matched a career-high by scoring three times.
- Mathieu posts his second multi-hit game of the year. In addition, the first baseman collected three RBI in a game for the first time this season and the third time in his career.
- After the first inning, McInvale retired 15 of the 16 batters he faced. He only allowed an infield single in the fourth.
- Catcher Jonathan Embry not only hit his first home run of the year in the contest, but threw out two would-be base stealers in the contest.
Turning Point McInvale walked two Black Bears in the first inning, two of the three hitters to reach base while he was pitching. However, in each case, both runners were thrown out attempting to steal by Liberty's Embry.
Beyond the Box Score - Today's contest was the first meeting between Liberty and Maine on the baseball diamond since 1987.
- Brabrand has recorded three-inning saves in back-to-back appearances. In addition, the right-hander has still not allowed a run this season in 8 2/3 innings.
- Mathieu has reached base in each of Liberty's contests this season.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram