Noah Skirrow pitched eight scoreless innings, leading the Liberty Flames to an 11-0 win over Delaware Blue Hens and complete a sweep of the three-game series, Sunday at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
Skirrow scattered six hits and struck out a career-high 11 in the contest to record his first victory of 2019.
Liberty catcher Jonathan Embry collected three hits, drove in two runs and scored three times. Left fielder Brandon added two hits and a career-high four RBI for the Flames.
Winners of four-straight contests, Liberty ups its record to 5-2. Delaware falls to 0-6.
Box Score Highlights Records: Delaware (0-6); Liberty (5-2) Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Liberty Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 1,100 WP: Noah Skirrow (1-0) | LP: Chris Ludman (0-1) Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Rohrer ground out, Embry scores, 1-0 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Throwing error by second baseman on single by Embry, Wagner scores, 2-1 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Rohrer doubles, Embry and Locklear score, 4-0 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Galazin doubles, Rohrer scores, 5-0 LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Rohrer singles, Karraker scores, 6-1 LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Embry scores on wild pitch, 7-0 LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Mathieu grounds out, Rohrer scores, 8-0 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Embry singles, Locklear and Wagner scores, 10-0 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Highfill singles, Guy scores, 11-0 Notable Numbers - Liberty collects first its double-digit hit total of the year, finishing the contest with 12 hits. Delaware had six.
- All nine Flames in the starting lineup reached base in the game, seven with a hit and two on walks.
- Skirrow did not walk a batter in the contest. It is the first time in 16 career starts that the sophomore has not walked a batter. In addition, the right-hander did not allow a Blue Hen runner past second base during his entire outing.
- Embry posts his second three-hit, three-run game of the season. The catcher doubled and tripled in the game.
- Rohrer recorded his first multi-hit game of 2019. The left fielder's four RBI eclipsed the sophomore's previous high of three.
- Second baseman Will Wagner collected his second multi-hit game of the year with two hits. He also scored twice in the contest.
Turning Point With Skirrow holding the Blue Hens' bats in check, the Flames broke open the contest in the fifth. With runners on first and second and one out, Blue Hen second baseman Erik Bowren throwing error on an infield single by Embry, allowed Wagner to score for a 2-0 advantage. Rohrer then popped up behind second base which dropped in for a double, scoring Embry and Locklear for a 4-0 edge. Third baseman Tyler Galazin followed with a run-scoring double for a commanding 5-0 edge.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty moves to 4-0 at home, after taking all four games of its season-opening homestand.
- In its three-game series with Delaware, Liberty's pitching allowed two earned runs and a total of five. Flames pitcher combined to strikeout 25 and walked five Blue Hens.
- Galazin and first baseman Logan Mathieu have reached safely in all seven of Liberty's contests.
- Right fielder Ayden Karraker doubled in the seventh, extending his hitting streak to a career-high four games.
Up Next Liberty will travel to Knoxville, Tenn., for its first-ever meeting with the unbeaten Tennessee Volunteers, Tuesday. First pitch at Lindsey Nelson Stadium is scheduled for 4:30 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram