Flames guard Chene Phillips
Game Day Central Page Note: Includes all important Game Day links (live video, live audio, live stats, etc.) Complete Game Notes Video Streaming Coverage: Big South Network Radio Coverage: Provided by the Flames Sports Network Broadcast - Tip-Off: 7 p.m. vs. Campbell Flagship Station: Victory FM (88.3 FM WRVL) Network Affiliates: Full List of Victory FM Network Affiliates
The Game The Liberty men's basketball team looks to return to the win column, Thursday, as it opens up Big South Conference play against Campbell (5-1, 0-0). The Flames seek their third straight win in conference openers against the Camels, who are coming off their first loss, falling to Creighton, 104-81, last Friday. Campbell returns to the conference after a 17-year hiatus. Liberty took the most recent contest between the two squads with a 68-61 victory inside the Vines Center on December 28, 2007. The Flames step into Campbell's Gore Arena looking to even the all-time series, with the Camels currently holding a 9-8 advantage. A tough task awaits the Flames, as Campbell's lineup features Big South Player of the Week Eric Griffin, who leads the conference in points (21.2 ppg) and rebounds (10.0 rpg). Tip-off between the Flames and the Camels is slated for 7 p.m.
Recent Results The Liberty men's basketball team experienced its fourth-straight defeat, Saturday night, falling to Georgia State inside Sports Arena, 72-50. Despite the Flames making it a two-point game with 8:34 remaining, a late 12-1 Panthers' run helped seal the contest for the home team. With the defeat, Liberty fell to 2-5 on the season, while Georgia State improved to 3-3 overall. Liberty's point total on the night was the team's lowest since scoring 43 against South Florida on Nov. 23, 2010. Jihad Ali paced the Panthers with 16 points, netting 14 in the second half. Tavares Speaks led Liberty with 16 tallies, followed by Jesse Sanders, who had 14.
Watch and Listen to the Flames There will be a Flames Sports Network radio broadcast (flagship WRVL 88.3 FM) for Thursday's contest, with Alan York providing the play-by-play. In addition to the radio broadcast, an Internet audio broadcast on LibertyFlames.com will be available. The game will also be video streamed live on the Big South Network. Series History Series Record: Campbell leads, 9-8 Current Streak: Liberty one the most recent meeting Series Record at Campbell: 2-7 First Meeting: Cambell 85, Liberty 78 (Jan. 5, 1976) Last Meeting: Liberty 68, Campbell 61 (Dec. 28, 2007) Campbell's last victory: Campbell 73, Liberty 70 (Dec. 15, 2007)
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Dale Layer Overall Record (Seasons): 306-227 (19th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): 36-34 Record vs. Campbell: First Meeting
Campbell Head Coach: Robbie Laing Overall Record (Seasons): 89-151 (Ninth Season) Record at Campbell (Seasons): 89-151 (Ninth Season) Record vs. Liberty: 1-1
Notes and Anecdotes - The last time the two squads met occurred during current Liberty head coach Dale Layer's stint as an assistant coach for the Flames. The Camels took the first meeting in Buies Creek, 73-70, on Dec. 15, 2007. Liberty avenged the loss on Dec. 28, defeating Campbell inside the Vines Center, 68-61.
- Liberty's last win at Campbell occurred on Jan. 18, 1993. The Flames defeated the Camels, 70-50.
- This will be Liberty's first meeting with the Camels inside Gore Arena. The Flames last meeting against the Camels took place inside Carter Gym
- Campbell's Eric Griffin enters Thursday's contest leading the Big South in points (21.2 ppg) and rebounds (10.0 rpg). Griffin was named Big South Player of the Week for his performances in last week's games.
-Thursday's meeting will be the first time a Dale Layer coached squad has faced Campbell. Miscellaneous Notes - Jesse Sanders is currently tied for No. 8 in the country in assists, averaging 7.0 helpers per game.
- Head coach Dale Layer enters Thursday's matchup 24-17 against current Big South members.
- Jesse Sanders is making his 100th career start.
- During the 2009-10 season, the Flames began the year with a 2-5. Liberty finished the year with a 15-16 record and a 10-8 posting in conference play.
- David Minaya is currently tied on Liberty's all-time career points list with former captain Ryan Mantlo (2002-04), who coached current Liberty guard Tavares Speaks at Cape Fear. Minaya enters Thursday's contest tied for 49th with 520 points.
- Last season, Liberty got off to its best start in conference play, winning its first five games. The Flames also won their first four Big South road games to begin the conference slate.
- Since joining the Big South, Liberty is 6-14 all-time when opening the conference season. The Flames have won their last two conference openers. Last season, the Flames hosted Presbyterian College in its first game of the conference season, defeating the Blue Hose, 70-61 (Dec. 2, 2010).
- The Flames enter Thursday's matchup with a balanced offensive attack. Only seven points separate Liberty's leading scorer David Minaya (89, 12.7 ppg) and No. 4 scorer John Caleb Sanders (82, 11.7 ppg). Sitting in second and third in scoring are Jesse Sanders (86, 12.3 ppg) and Tavares Speaks (84, 12.0 ppg).
- Liberty has four players among the Top 25 scorers in the conference, the most in the Big South, thus far.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram