Scores & Schedule Close keyboard_arrow_down

Team News

Liberty Falls in Men's Soccer Opener, 1-0

August 27, 2011  Indianapolis, Ind.  RSS
|   Share
Phillip Aseweh

Phillip Aseweh

Despite Liberty outshooting the host Jaguars, 12-4, IUPUI was able to make a late first-half goal stand up for a 1-0 victory over the Flames, Saturday at Kuntz Stadium in the opening game of the 2011 men's soccer campaign for both teams.

Liberty falls to 0-1 on the year, while IUPUI moves to 1-0. It was the first meeting between the Flames and the Jaguars on the soccer field.  Liberty head coach Jeff Alder and IUPUI head coach Isang Jacobs were teammates at Liberty in 1988.

The Flames fired the first four shots of the contest during the opening 20 minutes of play. Midfielder Richard Nyarko ripped the first shot of the match wide at 7:50 and less than five minutes later, forward Darren Amoo pushed an attempt left of the goal in the 13th minute.

Liberty midfielder Phillip Aseweh forced the first save of the day by IUPUI goalkeeper Tyler Keever, with his shot at 15:41.

In the 24th minute, the first shot of the afternoon by Jaguar midfielder Kyle Hyland hit the cross-
bar and bounced out of harm's way. Liberty midfielder Alex Verville answered with a shot on net in the 30th minute, which Keever steered aside for a save.

IUPUI broke through for the game's lone goal in the 36h minute. A shot by forward Sam Fuller was blocked out of bounds by the Flames, resulting in a corner kick.  On the ensuing kick, Hyland was able to get the ball to defender Yogi Snider, who dropped the ball to Fuller for a shot, which found open net for a 1-0 host advantage.

Liberty forced the third save of the afternoon by Keever in the closing minutes of the first half. The Jaguars' senior goalkeeper was able to corral a header by Flames midfielder Sam Duininck in the 44th minute to send the contest to halftime with his team in front.

The Flames outshot IUPUI, 6-3, in the first half, while corner kicks were even at two apiece.

Liberty pressured the Jaguar net during the opening 10 minutes of the second half, resulting in three corner kicks and two shots. However, a shot high following the Flames third corner kick of the sequence, allowed IUPUI to clear the zone, without Liberty finding the equalizer

In the 67th minute, the Flames once again were able to produce a scoring opportunity, but a shot by Amoo off a corner kick went wide.

Keeping on the attack, Liberty was denied the equalizer during a flurry of shots in the 73rd minute. After a shot by Amoo was blocked at 72:12. Midfielder Juan F. Niño pounced on rebound, sending a header towards the net, which hit the post. Aseweh followed with a shot, which Keever caged to halt the burst by the Flames.

In the 81st minute, IUPUI once again was able to get a scoring opportunity off a corner kick. This time, Liberty goalkeeper Josh Pacella was able to make an outstanding save of a header by Fuller to keep the Flames within one.

However, the Jaguars defense did not allow a shot opportunity over the final nine minutes, holding off Liberty for a 1-0 victory and a win in the IUPUI coaching debut of Jacobs.

The Flames not only held the edge in shots, but also in corner kicks in the contest, 7-5.

Pacella, making his first start at Liberty, made one save, while Keever made four saves in recording the shutout.

Liberty returns home for its first contest of the season at Osborne Stadium, Tuesday.  The Flames will host the Longwood Lancers in a nonconference match at 7 p.m.