Scores & Schedule Close keyboard_arrow_down

Team News

Radford Avoids Flames' Sweep, 74-69

February 16, 2010  Lynchburg, Va.  RSS
|   Share
|   Photos
Coach Dale Layer talks with Nick Pierce and members of the media about his team's performance against Radford and the upcoming game versus High Point.
Video Views: 16313
Looking for its fourth conference sweep of the season, the Liberty men's basketball team played host to third place Radford on Tuesday night. Leading for a majority of the first half, the Flames only controlled the contest for 3:48 in the second, relinquishing the advantage for good with 5:26 remaining to drop the 74-69 decision inside the Vines Center.

Jeremy Anderson jumpstarted the Flames' offense 32 seconds into the contest, connecting on a trey to give Liberty an early 3-0 edge. Patrick Konan enlarged Liberty's margin with a layup at 17:51, capping off a 5-0 burst from the white-clad Flames.

Radford halted Liberty's scoring streak 15 seconds later, as Art Parakhouski hit a jumper to trim the Flames' lead, 5-2.

Liberty increased its advantage to seven at 15:41 thanks to a Konan jumper to make it 9-2 in favor of the Flames. Head coach Brad Greenberg elected to call a timeout at 13:25, seconds after Anderson upped the ante with his second three-pointer of the game to give Liberty a 14-6 advantage.

Radford made the contest a two-possession game with 12:00 remaining in the half, thanks to a Joey Lynch-Flohr jumper, which trimmed it to four, 16-12.

After a near two-minute scoreless stalemate, Kyle Oman, lit up the scoreboard for the first time in the contest, hitting a jumper at 10:06 to give Liberty a six-point lead, 18-12.

Radford's Jeremy Robinson reduced Liberty's advantage to a pair at 8:28, knocking down a trey to make it 20-18. After holding a one to two possession lead over the next 1:44, Liberty pulled away from Highlanders once again, as Evan Gordon hit a jumper in the paint at 6:46 to reclaim a six-point edge, 26-20.

The Highlanders continued to ride the scoring roller coaster, scoring five unanswered points over a span of 1:48 to climb within one, 26-25 at 4:58.

Liberty distanced itself again with 3:30 left, as Chris Perez hit an outside jumper to give the Flames a five-digit lead, 32-27. Radford claimed its first lead of the contest with 1:09 left in half, when Lynch-Flohr sank a jump shot to out the Highlanders on top, 33-32.

As time dwindled in the half, Liberty picked its spot in the final seconds. With four ticks left, Gordon dished it to Konan, who proceeded to knock down his second three-pointer of the season to give the Flames a 35-33 lead at halftime.

Parakhouski finished the opening period as Radford's leading scorer, posting 14 first-half points. Konan and Gordon accounted for 71.4 percent of the Flames' scoring in the in the first 20 minutes, garnering 14 and 11 points, respectively.

Although Liberty claimed the perimeter in the half, outscoring Radford from downtown, 15-6, the Highlanders dominated the paint, besting the Flames inside, 16-6.

The Flames shot 53.8 percent from the field in the period (14-of-26), while the Highlanders took three more shots, hitting 14-of-29 (48.3 percent).

Lynch-Flohr knotted the contest in opening 40 seconds of the second half, laying it in to even the contest at 35. Radford then created a five-point cushion at 17:08, as a result of a Lazar Trifunovic tip-in to put the Highlanders up, 44-39. Parakhouski tacked on a made shot from the charity strip 29 seconds later to give the visitor a six-point advantage, 45-39. Jesse Sanders ended Radford's 5-0 scoring spurt at 16:35, laying it in to trim Liberty's deficit to four, 45-41.

Blake Smith increased Radford's margin to eight at 14:26, laying it in to make it 49-41. Liberty gradually chipped away at the Highlanders' lead over the next, reducing it to three, 50-47, at 10:41 off an Ohman jumper.

Carter McMasters hit a trey at 8:53 to make it a one-point game, 52-51. Ohman the knotted the contest 48 ticks later at the foul line, hitting one-of-two shots to tie it at 52.

Following a fastbreak layup from Evan Faulkner, which put the Highlanders up by two, 54-52; Liberty went on a 6-0 run off back-to-back treys from Ohman and McMasters. The 6-11 center's shot from downtown ignited the Vines Center crowd, as he found nylon from 26 feet out to put the Flames up 58-54 with 6:56 left.

Radford responded with an 11-0 run over the next 3:57, creating a seven-point gap, 65-58 with 2:59 remaining in the contest. During the scoring streak, Radford received buckets from Johnson, Smith, Trifunovic and Martin.

Liberty climbed within two with 1:23 left on the game clock, when Burrus tipped it in, cutting it to 68-66. However, the Flames failed to tie the contest or reclaim the lead down the stretch, falling to Radford, 74-69.

Radford improves 15-11 overall and 11-5 in the Big South, while the Flames fall to 13-14 on the season and 8-7 in conference play.

Parakhouski was the game's leading scorer and rebounder, finishing with 25 tallies and 13 boards. Gordon reached double figures in scoring for the fourth-consecutive contest, posting 17 points, while Konan ended the night with 16.

Radford turned the tables in team field goal percentage in the second half, hitting 12-of-21 shots (57.1 percent), while Liberty shot 36.7 percent (11-of-30). The Highlanders also cashed in at the charity stripe, hitting 16-of-28 shots in the latter period, compared to Liberty's 9-of-16 performance. Despite coming into the contest leading the conference in field goal percentage at 71.4 percent, Liberty shot 55.0 percent from the foul line.

The Flames remain in the Vines Center on Saturday, playing host to High Point at 7 p.m. The matchup is the second half of a doubleheader, with the Lady Flames squaring off with Coastal Carolina at 4 p.m.

Radford returns to the Dedmon Center on Saturday for an ESPN BracketBuster matchup against UNC Wilmington. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m.