Denay Griffin tied her career high with three RBI on Tuesday at Virginia.
Liberty recorded eight extra-base hits during a 12-3, run-rule victory over Virginia at Palmer Park on Tuesday.
With the win, Liberty improves to 23-12 on the season. Meanwhile, Virginia falls to 11-19. Today marked the Lady Flames' first visit to Palmer Park.
Scoring Summary Liberty – 1st INNING – Canetto triples, Bishop-Riley scores, 1-0 Liberty – 1st INNING – Griffin singles, Canetto scores, 2-0 Liberty – 3rd INNING – Griffin doubles, Bishop and Bishop-Riley score, 4-0 Virginia – 3rd INNING – Weaver singles, Baylog scores, 4-1 Liberty – 4th INNING – Bishop homers, Channell and Via score, 7-1 Virginia – 4th INNING – Ritchie doubles, Baylog scores, 7-2 Virginia – 4th INNING – McBride walks, Winscott scores, 7-3 Liberty – 6th INNING – Bishop-Riley triples, Bishop, Hodum and Channell score, 10-3 Liberty – 6th INNING – Canetto singles, Wilson scores, 11-3 Liberty – 6th INNING – Jones grounds out, Canetto scores, 12-3
Notable Numbers - Liberty outhit UVA 11-5, while the Cavaliers registered the game's only error. The hosts left seven runners on base, while the visitors stranded four.
- The Lady Flames batted 1-for-1 with bases loaded, while the Cavaliers went 0-for-3 in bases-loaded situations. This season, Liberty is batting 13-for-26 (.500) with bases loaded this season, compared to just 7-for-38 (.184) for opponents.
- Liberty recorded a season-high-tying five doubles, while adding two triples and a homer.
- McKenzie Wagoner (4-2) earned the win, allowing one hit and two walks in 2 1/3 innings pitched. Liberty starter Emily Kirby allowed one run on one hit, striking out four and walking three in 2 1/3 innings. Megan Johnson gave up two runs on three hits in 1 1/3 innings of work.
- Clare Zuriech (0-4) drew the loss, allowing four runs on five hits while striking out three in three innings. Mackenzie Wooten, Madison Harris and Mikayla Houge all pitched in relief.
- Kara Canetto went 3-for-4 with a double, triple, two RBI and two runs scored. Autumn Bishop batted 2-for-3 with a double, homer, three RBI and three runs scored, while Amber Bishop-Riley went 2-for-3 with a double, triple, three RBI and two runs. Denay Griffin hit 2-for-3 with a double and three RBI.
Turning Point - With Liberty leading 4-0 in the bottom of the third, the Cavaliers staged a rally. Kirby walked the first two batters, and a sacrifice bunt sent both runners ahead. Weaver then then hit an RBI single. After a hit batter, Johnson entered the game to get the final two outs and leave the bases loaded.
- The Lady Flames doubled their lead with a three-run fourth inning against reliever Wooten. Via and Channell both drew walks, and Bishop drove one over the right field fence for a 7-1 advantage. Virginia scored twice in the bottom of the fourth, but left the bases filled.
- Liberty removed all doubt with a five-run sixth inning.
Beyond the Box Score - Virginia leads Liberty 31-14 in the head-to-head series since 1994, when the Lady Flames began their NCAA Division I era.
- Liberty's 12 runs were its most in a single game against an ACC opponent in program history.
- Liberty run-ruled Virginia for the first time since posting an 8-0 shutout over the Cavaliers in five innings on May 3, 2011.
- The Lady Flames' eight extra-base hits today were one shy of a season-high nine against Villanova on Feb. 27.
- Bishop homered for the second game in a row. She has tied her highest single-season homer total, as she hit eight home runs in 2018.
- Bishop is now tied for 19th all-time in NCAA Division I softball history with 67 career doubles.
- Bishop passed Ashley Williams (2005-08) into second place in program history with 251 career hits.
- Canetto posted her team-leading 15th multiple-hit game of the season, and recorded her 100th career hit today. She is one of four current Lady Flames with 100 or more career hits.
- Griffin tied her career high with three RBI, as her only previous three-RBI game was against Auburn on Feb. 8, 2020. Up Next Liberty returns home, and will host North Alabama in a three-game series, Saturday and Sunday at Kamphuis Field at Liberty Softball Stadium.