Trevor Johnson recorded his 100th career victory as a collegiate women's volleyball head coach.
Liberty posted a 3-0 (25-22, 27-25, 25-15) sweep at ASUN newcomer Bellarmine, Saturday at Knights Hall, earning a series split.
The win was the 100th career win as a collegiate women's volleyball head coach for Liberty third-year Head Coach Trevor Johnson, who has posted a 100-44 combined lifetime record coaching women's volleyball at Concordia (CA) and Liberty.
The Lady Flames (3-8, 3-7 ASUN) snapped a five-match winless streak, winning for the first time since a 3-0 sweep at North Alabama on Feb. 13. The Knights (4-10, 3-7) saw their three-match winning streak snapped, as these two teams split a pair of meetings this weekend. Liberty and Bellarmine are tied for third in the ASUN North Division standings with two matches remaining.
Notable Numbers • Liberty led .216-.079 in hitting percentage, with the Lady Flames posting 12 team blocks compared to seven for the Knights. Bellarmine held a slight 57-55 edge in digs.
• Rajini Fitzmaurice (.345) and Trinity Watts tied for the match high with 11 kills each, while Lydia Burts scored a career-high nine kills and added four blocks. Kainah Williams led all players with eight block assists, while Amaya Williams recorded her fifth double-double of the season with 33 assists and a career-high 17 digs. Aspen Thompson scored seven kills and served up two aces, while Lilly Kruse collected 10 digs.
• Bellarmine's Chrysanthi Stamatiou totaled 10 kills and 11 digs, while Sam Rickert dished out 26 assists.
Match Summary SET 1 • Liberty led set one 18-13 before the Knights rallied to tie it at 18-18. The Lady Flames then pulled ahead 24-21 following a kill by Watts. Bellarmine fought off set point before Fitzmaurice scored the set-clincher, 25-22.
• Watts scored six first-set kills, while Bailey Roszman responded with five kills for the Knights.
SET 2 • The Knights appeared to be on the way to a set-two win, leading 24-22 after Abbie Stefanon's kill. Thompson and Fitzmaurice scored back-to-back kills to tie it. After a sideout, Fitzmaurice scored two kills during a set-ending 3-0 run as Liberty took the set 27-25.
• Fitzmaurice scored seven kills in the middle session, while Kainah Williams assisted on three out of four set-two blocks.
SET 3 • Liberty fought off a slow start, outscoring the Knights 23-9 after trailing 6-2. The Lady Flames outhit Bellarmine .400-.059 during the 25-15 victory.
Quick Hits • Liberty and Bellarmine are now tied at 1-1 in the all-time volleyball series.
• Liberty is now 4-8 in sets decided by exactly two points this season and 2-3 in extended sets.
• Williams' 17 digs are the most by a Liberty setter since Anna Willey collected 19 digs against Campbell on Nov. 7, 2015.
• This was the second time this season that Liberty had held an opponent below .100 in hitting percentage (North Alabama hit .064 on Feb. 14).
• Kainah Williams' eight blocks are the most by a Lady Flame in a three-set match since Kailey Macy posted eight blocks in a 3-0 sweep of FGCU on Sept. 24, 2019.
• Liberty posted its most blocks in a three-set match so far this season.
• All three of Liberty's wins so far this season have been 3-0 sweeps on the road.
Up Next Liberty returns home for its final two regular-season matches of the season, hosting North Alabama on Friday at 6 p.m. and Saturday at 4 p.m. at Liberty Arena.