Rajini Fitzmaurice scored a career-high 17 kills on Friday at Bellarmine.
Liberty and Bellarmine battled back and forth all evening, with the host Knights prevailing in four sets (25-23, 18-25, 25-13, 30-28), Friday at Knights Hall.
With the win, its third in a row, Bellarmine (4-9, 3-6 ASUN) moves into third place in the ASUN North Division standings. The Lady Flames fall to 2-8, 2-7 in ASUN play and a current position of fourth in the ASUN North.
Notable Numbers • For the match, Liberty led .186-.155 in hitting percentage. The Lady Flames served up four aces but also had 13 service errors, while the Knights totaled five aces and two service errors. Bellarmine led in digs (70-64), while the Lady Flames held an 11-9 edge in blocks.
• Bellarmine's Chrysanthi Stamatiou scored 14 kills and added 11 digs. Abbie Oetting (11) and Bailey Roszman (10) both finished in double figures in kills. Sam Rickert dished out 48 assists, while Karleigh Wilson collected a match-high 25 digs.
• Rajini Fitzmaurice posted her first career double-double, with a career-high 17 kills, 11 digs and five blocks. Trinity Watts also recorded her first career double-double, totaling 11 kills and 11 digs. Lilly Kruse collected 11 digs, while Amaya Williams dished out 32 assists and Lydia Burts posted a match-high seven blocks.
Match Summary SET 1 • Bellarmine led set one 24-21 after a kill from Stamatiou. Abby Phillips sent down a kill, and a Knights error made it 24-23. Stamatiou then scored the set-clinching kill.
• Phillips and Stamatiou both scored five set-one kills, as Liberty outhit the Knights .189-.079.
SET 2 • Liberty responded in the second set, hitting .256 during a 25-18 victory. The Lady Flames posted four team blocks, holding the Knights to a .064 attack percentage.
SET 3 • Bellarmine scored the first five points of set three and did not look back during a 25-13 victory. The Knights hit .321, compared to .000 for the Lady Flames.
SET 4 • The hosts led set four 22-18 and held a 24-21 advantage before Liberty fought off three match points to tie it at 24-24. The Lady Flames gained set point at 26-25 and then later at 27-26 on a kill by Fitzmaurice. All told, Liberty fought off five match points before the Knights sealed the match at 30-28.
• Liberty had its highest hitting percentage of the match in set four, hitting .261, and Fitzmaurice went off for nine fourth-set kills.
Quick Hits • Today was the first meeting between Liberty and ASUN newcomer Bellarmine in volleyball.
• Today's fourth set (30-28) was the longest for the Lady Flames this season, and longest for the team since a 38-36 set-one loss to Kennesaw State on Nov. 17, 2019.
• Fitzmaurice's 17 kills are the most by a Lady Flame in a match this season and the most by a Liberty player since Anna Gragg scored 19 kills against La Salle on Dec. 7, 2019.
• Fitzmaurice and Watts are the third and fourth Lady Flames to record a double-double this season, joining Amaya Williams and Julia Mangum.
Up Next The Lady Flames play and Knights wrap up their series tomorrow with a 5 p.m. First serve at Knights Hall.