Trinity Watts scored a career-high 13 kills against Kennesaw State.
Liberty posted a 25-22 set-one victory at Kennesaw State and nearly took the second set, falling 25-23. The host Owls rallied to win the final three sets and take a 3-1 match victory over the Lady Flames, Saturday at KSU Convocation Center.
KSU maintains its lead in the ASUN North Division, improving to 10-0 on the season. The Lady Flames are now 2-7, including 2-6 in ASUN play after four straight setbacks to the Owls. Three out of the four matches required four sets.
Notable Numbers • For the match, KSU held a .246-.176 advantage in hitting percentage and slim leads in both blocks (9-8) and digs (52-49). The Owls served up nine aces, compared to three for the Lady Flames.
• KSU's Emma Schurfranz scored a match-high 18 kills at a .517 pace while adding five blocks. Claire Parsons totaled eight kills and six blocks, while Jessie Cohen dished out a match-high 41 assists. Lauren Chastang contributed 11 kills and three aces.
• Trinity Watts scored a career-high 13 kills to lead the Lady Flames, while Lydia Burts tied her career high with eight kills and added four blocks. Julia Mangum recorded nine kills and five blocks, while Amaya Williams registered her fourth double-double this season with 23 assists and 10 digs. Lilly Kruse collected 10 digs, while Caitie Mueller collected a career-high 10 digs.
Match Summary SET 1 • Liberty hit an impressive .379 during the opening set, storming out of the gates offensively. The Lady Flames still trailed late, 22-21, before ending the set on a four-point rally that concluded with an Aspen Thompson-Abby Phillips block followed by a Watts kill.
SET 2 • The Lady Flames led late in set two, 22-20, after a KSU error which capped a 9-1 Liberty rally. However, the Owls took over from there, outscoring Liberty 5-1 the rest of the way to win the set 25-23.
• Liberty outhit KSU .242-.231 in set two, including a 4-for-4 hitting performance from Burts.
SET 3 • Kennesaw State sizzled on the attack during the third set, hitting .429 during a 25-14 victory. Schurfranz totaled six set-three kills, hitting .625.
SET 4 • The Owls earned match-point tries at 24-20 in the fourth set. Watts fought off the first one with a kill, and Amaya Williams' kill narrowed the gap to 24-22. Watts then served up an ace. After a KSU timeout, Schurfranz ended the match with her 18th kill.
Quick Hits • Kennesaw State is now 10-0 all-time against Liberty in volleyball. The Owls won in four sets in both meetings in Lynchburg, Feb. 19-20.
• Liberty is now 3-6 in sets decided by exactly two points this season and 1-2 in extended sets.
• Amaya Williams is Liberty's active leader with 13 career double-doubles, including a team-leading four this season.
• Watts now leads the team with five double-digit kill matches on the season, having scored 10 or more kills in five out of the last seven matches.
Up Next The Lady Flames play at ASUN newcomer Bellarmine next Friday and Saturday to round out their conference road schedule. Liberty finishes up conference play at home March 19-20 at Liberty Arena.