Davtyan won at No. 3 singles on Sunday at USF.
The South Florida Bulls edged the visiting Liberty Lady Flames, 4-3, in Sunday afternoon's match at the USF Varsity Tennis Courts.
In a match which saw the two teams split the six singles matches, the doubles point proved to the difference maker for South Florida in the victory.
Liberty (6-2) finishes 0-2 on the weekend in what were its first two outdoor matches of 2021. South Florida improves to 3-5 on the season following its victories over Liberty and FGCU (5-2 final on Saturday).
Thoughts From Head Coach Jeff Maren "We played better today than Friday because of the extra fight we added to each court. USF is a very good team, and we gave ourselves chances today. I am seeing growth in our program, which promotes hope in our process this season. We are already looking forward to next weekend. To God be the glory!"
South Florida 4, Liberty 3
Singles Competition 1. Amelie Boy (USF) def. Alexandra Almborg (LIBERTYW) 7-6 (7-2), 6-1 2. Tiffany Nguyen (LIBERTYW) def. Laura Pellicer (USF) 6-4, 6-3 3. Marina Davtyan (LIBERTYW) def. Grace Schumacher (USF) 7-5, 6-2 4. Esther Lovato (LIBERTYW) def. Evelyne Tiron (USF) 6-7 (2), 6-4, 1-0 (10-8) 5. Alexandria Mjos (USF) def. Grace Hashiguchi (LIBERTYW) 6-2, 6-1 6. Margriet Timmermans (USF) def. Micaela Ode Mitre (LIBERTYW) 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
Doubles Competition 1. Amelie Boy/Evelyne Tiron (USF) def. Alexandra Almborg/Eloise Saraty (LIBERTYW) 6-3 2. Grace Schumacher/Margriet Timmermans (USF) vs. Tiffany Nguyen/Micaela Ode Mitre (LIBERTYW) 4-4, unfinished 3. Grace Eland/Laura Pellicer (USF) def. Marina Davtyan/Grace Hashiguchi (LIBERTYW) 6-4
Liberty 6-2 South Florida 3-5 Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (5,1,2,3,6,4) Official: Kim Bonk T-3:00
How It Happened
• South Florida took care of business in doubles on courts one and three to pick up the critical first point of the day. The Bulls' Amelie Boy and Evelyne Tiron (No. 1 doubles) bested the Lady Flames' Alexandra Almborg and Eloise Saraty 6-3, handing the Liberty duo its second loss of the weekend. On court three, USF's Grace Eland and Laura Pellicer bested Marina Davtyan and Grace Hashiguchi 6-4.
• USF's lead grew to 2-0 early in the singles session, as Alexandra Mjos won in straight sets (6-2, 6-1) versus Hashiguchi in the No. 5 singles contest. The Bulls were within a point of overall victory (3-0) following Boys' 7-6 (2), 6-1 decision at No. 1 singles over Almborg of the Lady Flames.
• Liberty's No. 2 and No. 3 singles players, Tiffany Nguyen and Davyan, kept Liberty close with their match victories. Nguyen topped Pellicer 6-4, 6-3, while Davtyan picked up her seventh singles win of the spring, 7-5, 6-2 against Grace Schumacher to trim the USF lead to one (3-2).
• In a battle of second-year players at No. 6 singles, it was USF's Margriet Timmermans who emerged victorious in three sets over Liberty's Micaela Ode Mitre, 6-2, 4-6, 6-1. USF led 4-2 at that point, securing the win.
• Liberty's Esther Lovato (No. 4 singles) remained unbeaten in spring singles play at 7-0 following her three-set triumph (6-7 (2), 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)) against Tiron. Lovato is 25-5 in singles since joining the Lady Flames in fall 2019.
• South Florida is now 2-0 all-time against Liberty.
Next Up • Liberty will face Commonwealth opponent Richmond (0-0) on the road, next Sunday at noon at the Westhampton Courts in Richmond, Va. • The Lady Flames defeated the Spiders 5-1 on Feb. 15, 2020 in Lynchburg in the most recent meeting between the teams. The all-time series is even at 3-3, but Liberty has won three straight showdowns (2014, 2015 and 2020).
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram