Complete Game Notes Liberty looks to continue its home dominance this weekend, hosting the Liberty Softball Challenge at Kamphuis Field at Liberty Softball Stadium, Friday through Sunday. The Lady Flames, riding a 16-game home winning streak, welcome Rhode Island, Albany, Northern Illinois, UMass and Binghamton to Lynchburg. Liberty Softball Challenge Schedule Home Team Listed First Friday, March 13 - Liberty Softball Stadium Game 1 – Binghamton vs. NIU – 9 a.m. Live Stats Game 2 -UMass vs. Binghamton - 11 a.m. Live Stats Game 3 – Rhode Island vs. NIU – 1 p.m. Live Stats Game 4 – Albany vs. UMass – 3 p.m. Live Stats Game 5 - Liberty vs. Rhode Island - 5 p.m. Live Stats Game 6 - Liberty vs. Albany - 7 p.m. Live Stats Saturday, March 14 Game 7 – Binghamton vs. Rhode Island – 9 a.m. Live Stats Game 8 – Albany vs. Rhode Island – 11 a.m. Live Stats Game 9 – NIU vs. Albany – 1 p.m. Live Stats Game 10 - UMass vs. Binghamton - 3 p.m. Live Stats Game 11 - Liberty vs. NIU - 5 p.m. Live Stats Game 12 - Liberty vs. UMass - 7 p.m. Live Stats Sunday, March 15 Game 13 - NIU vs. UMass - 9 a.m. Live Stats Game 14 - Rhode Island vs. Albany - 11 a.m. Live Stats Game 15 - Liberty vs. Binghamton - 1 p.m. Live Stats The Lady Flames are 9-2 in their last 11 games, outhitting opponents .367-.206 during that span. Last weekend, Liberty went 3-2 at the Longhorn Invitational, with its only two losses coming to No. 1 Texas. Megan Johnson tossed the fifth perfect game in program history in a 13-0 win over Texas Southern, last Friday. Liberty downed New Mexico twice last weekend, including an 11-3 rout on Sunday that featured a program-record three sacrifice flies.
Last weekend also saw Amber Bishop set a new program record for career RBI on Friday, while Autumn Bishop hit her program-record 53rd career double on Sunday against New Mexico. Amber (hits, RBI) and Autumn (sacrifice flies, doubles) both own two Liberty career records at present.
For the second year in a row, Liberty was predicted to win the ASUN in the preseason coaches poll. Additionally, Amber Bishop, Autumn Bishop and Madison Via were all named to the ASUN Preseason Softball All-Conference team.
Three-time NFCA All-Region player Amber Bishop bats .420 with a conference-best 10 homers and 27 RBI. 2019 ASUN All-Freshman Team member Kara Canetto, who missed the final half of the 2019 season with injury, hits .394 with a team-high seven doubles. Freshmen Savannah Channell (.298), Caroline Hudson (.284) and Blake Gibson (.281) have provided a spark offensively. Three-time first team all-conference player Autumn Bishop has hit .239 with 16 RBI, while two-time all-conference outfielder Madison Via has batted .271 with a team-leading eight steals.
In the circle, freshman Karlie Keeney is 5-5 with a 2.91 ERA, and she has gone 4-1 with a 2.33 ERA in her last six appearances. Keeney has also pitched in 10 out of Liberty's 12 games against nationally-ranked opponents this season. Junior college transfer Megan Johnson (4-4, 3.93) is 4-1 with a 2.17 ERA in her last five starts, including back-to-back shutouts (two-hitter vs. Elon March 1 and 39-pitch, five-inning perfect game vs. Texas Southern last Friday). Kastin Belogorska (1-2, 2.17) picked up her first career win with five innings of relief last Saturday against New Mexico.
Team Notes - With Megan Johnson's perfect game last Friday against Texas Southern, Liberty has now pitched three no-hitters in the last two years, including two perfect games. Julia DiMartino tossed a perfect game against Princeton on Feb. 24, 2019.
- Liberty is 99-30 all-time at Kamphuis Field at Liberty Softball Stadium. Its next home win will be win No. 100 at Liberty Softball Stadium.
- Liberty posted a 4-0 record in its home-opening Liberty Softball Classic, outhitting opponents .353-.147 while scoring 25 runs and allowing just four. Liberty's current home winning streak stands at 16 games. That is the second longest home winning streak in program history. The longest home winning streak is 28 games, from March 10, 2018 through March 13, 2019.
- Liberty is 1-2 in games decided by exactly two runs this season after going 10-2 in such games last year. The Lady Flames went 5-12 in one-run games in 2019 and are 2-2 in one-run games this year.
- Liberty lost seven straight games from Feb. 13 through Feb. 22, before winning each of its next seven games. The Last Flames are 9-2 in their last 11 games, with the only two losses in that span coming to No. 1 Texas last weekend.
- Through the first 12 games this season, Liberty was batting .206 while averaging 2.1 runs per game. After shaking up their lineup Feb. 23 against Michigan, the Lady Flames have batted .367 and scored a combined 74 runs (6.7 runs per game) in its next 11 games.
- After posting a 6.08 team ERA through the first 10 games of the 2020 season, Liberty's pitchers combined for a 2.07 ERA and .207 opponents batting average in the last 13 games.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram