Brady Gulkowski hit a home run and had five RBI in Liberty's win, Sunday.
Head Coach Scott Jackson Press Conference
Joe Adametz III Press Conference Brady Gulakowski Press Conference
Liberty pitcher Joe Adametz III pitched seven scoreless innings and designated hitter Brady Gulakowski drove in five runs, propelling the Flames to a 7-0 victory over the Kent State Golden Flashes, Sunday afternoon at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
Adametz III worked into the eighth inning to record his first victory of the season. The left-hander scattered five hits, before leaving with a man on in the top of the eighth inning.
Gulakowski collected three hits, including his second home run of the season in the contest. The designated also had two run-scoring doubles to finish with five RBI.
Flames shortstop Cam Locklear also added a game-high four hits and drove in a run.
Winners of 10 of their last 12 games, Liberty moves to 10-6 on the season. Kent State falls to 7-7.
Box Score Highlights Records: Kent State (7-7); Liberty (10-6) Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 1,316 WP: Joe Adametz III (2-0) | LP: Ryan Lane (2-1) | SV: Garret Price (1)
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 5TH INNING – Gulakowski doubles, Rohrer scores, 1-0 LIBERTY – 7TH INNING – Gulakowski homers, McDyre scores, 3-0 LIBERTY – 8TH INNING – Gulakowski doubles, McDyre and Rohrer score, 5-0 LIBERTY – 8TH INNING – Locklear singles, Gulakowski scores, 6-0 LIBERTY – 8TH INNING – Shilling singles, Locklear scores, 7-0
Notable Numbers - Liberty outhit Kent State, 15-5, in the contest. Neither team made an error.
- Adametz tied his career-high with seven strikeouts in the contest. He walked one batter.
- Flames right-fielder Brandon Rohrer had three hits and scored twice in the contest. - Liberty reliever Garret Price retired the final six Kent State batters of the game to complete the shutout and earn his first save of 2020.
Turning Point Having left eight men on base through the first four innings, the Flames broke through for the game's first run in the fifth inning. Rohrer led off the home half of the inning with an infield single and moved into scoring position at second on a sacrifice bunt by second baseman Trey McDyre. Gulakowski followed with a double into the right field corner to plate Rohrer and give Liberty a 1-0 advantage.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty takes the three-game series from Kent State, two games to one.
- The Flames post their second shutout of 2020. Liberty shut out Elon 3-0 at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium, last Tuesday. Both were combined efforts.
- Gulakowski becomes the second Flame with five RBI in a game, this season. McDyre drove in five runs in Liberty's victory over Longwood on Feb. 25.
- Adametz III has not allowed a run over 13 2/3 innings in his last two starts.
- Rohrer collects three hits for the second straight game. He had three hits in yesterday's 7-2 win over the Flashes.
- Locklear ties his career-high for hits with four. He has had four hits in a game on three different occasions with the last coming in a win over North Florida on May 5 at the 2019 ASUN Baseball Tournament.
Up Next Liberty will travel to Morgantown, W.Va. for a contest against the West Virginia Mountaineers, Wednesday. Game time at Monongalia County Ballpark is scheduled for 3 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram