Megan Johnson tossed a two-hit shutout against Elon.
Liberty downed Elon 8-0 in five innings on Sunday at Kamphuis Field at Liberty Softball Stadium, closing out a perfect 4-0 weekend at the Liberty Softball Classic.
The Lady Flames (7-11) posted their sixth straight win overall, a streak that started with a 6-5 walk-off win over then No. 6 Michigan, last Sunday. Elon falls to 10-8 on the season, going 2-2 this weekend.
Liberty extended its winning streak to 16 games at Liberty Softball Stadium, the second longest home winning streak in program history. The Lady Flames have outscored opponents 77-17 during that streak which began on April 2, 2019.
Scoring Summary Liberty – 1st INNING – Amber Bishop homers, 2-0
Liberty – 2nd INNING – Gibson doubles, Channel and Via score, 4-0
Liberty – 2nd INNING – Amber Bishop homers, Canetto and Gibson score, 7-0 Liberty – 4th INNING – Autumn Bishop hits a sacrifice fly, Canetto scores, 8-0.
Notable Numbers - Liberty outhit the Phoenix 11-2 for the game, as both teams committed two errors.
- Megan Johnson (3-3) tossed a two-hit shutout, Liberty's first shutout of the season, allowing just two hits while striking out a career-high eight batters. - Kaitlin King (4-5) drew the loss, allowing four runs on five hits in one inning before Alexa Nemeth pitched the final three innings. - Amber Bishop went 2-for-2 with two homers, five RBI and two runs scored, while Kara Canetto batted 3-for-3 with a double and three runs scored. Emily Sweat (two doubles) and Madison Via had two hits apiece, while Blake Gibson hit a two-run double.
- Megan Grant and Ally Repko had one hit apiece for Elon.
Turning Point - Amber Bishop hit a two-run homer in the first before Liberty erupted for five runs on five hits in the second. Gibson's two-run double made it 4-0 before Amber Bishop hit her second homer in as many innings, a three-run blast that cleared the scoreboard in left center.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty leads Elon 12-8 in the all-time series, including 2-0 this season. The Lady Flames defeated the Phoenix 12-3, last Sunday, in Columbia, S.C. - Johnson's eight strikeouts were the most by a Lady Flame in a single game this season. She is the first Lady Flame to toss a shutout since Chase Cassady blanked Marshall in the 2019 NISC Regional final. - Amber Bishop posted her fifth career two-homer game and second this season, as she went deep twice against then No. 6 Michigan, last Sunday. She is now in sole possession of second place in program history with 47 career homers. Bishop is batting .688 (11-for-16) with seven homers and 16 RBI in Liberty's last six games.
- Autumn Bishop, who already holds Liberty's program record for career sacrifice flies, recorded her 12th career sac fly today. She is now in a tie for fifth in program history (Katie Zavodny, 2011-14) with 131 career runs scored.
- Madison Via is now tied with former teammate Jasmeen Click (2016-19) for ninth all-time at Liberty with 42 career stolen bases.
- Canetto recorded her second three-hit game of the season (also vs. Michigan) and Sweat posted her first career two-double contest.
- Liberty has outhit opponents .359-.175 during its current six-game winning streak.
Up Next The Lady Flames fly to Texas and will compete in the Longhorn Invitational, Friday through Sunday in Austin, Texas. While in the Longhorn State, Liberty will take on Texas and New Mexico twice each, with one game against Texas Southern.