Coach Jackson Press Conference Cam Locklear Press Conference
Garret Price Press Conference
Top Plays vs Seton Hall
Shortstop Cam Locklear belted a grand slam as the Liberty Flames topped the Seton Hall Pirates 5-3, Sunday afternoon at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
With the bases loaded and one out in the home half of the third inning, Locklear ripped the first pitch he saw from Seton Hall right-hander David Festa over the left field wall for a grand slam and give Liberty a 4-1 lead.
Flames reliever Garret Price struck out batters with the bases loaded for the final out in the fifth and seventh innings in registering the victory. Troy Britts recorded the final three outs of the contests to earn the save.
With the victory, the Flames take the series from the Pirates, two games to one. Liberty moves to 3-4 on the season. Seton Hall falls to 3-3.
Box Score Highlights Records: Seton Hall (3-3); Liberty (3-4) Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 1,537 WP: Garret Price (1-0) | LP: David Festa (1-1) | SV: Troy Britts (1)
Scoring Summary SETON HALL – 3rd INNING – Hood singles, Clyde scores, 1-0 LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Locklear homers, Gulakowski, Highfill and Guy score, 4-1 SETON HALL – 5th INNING – Hack doubles, Haberman scores, 4-2 SETON HALL – 5th INNING – Hood singles, Hack scores, 4-3 LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Wilson flies out, Wilkerson scores, 5-3
Notable Numbers - Liberty outhit Seton Hall, 10-6, in the contest. The Flames committed the only error of the game in the fifth inning.
- Each team left eight men on base in the game. Seton Hall left the bases loaded in fifth and the seventh innings.
- Locklear's grand slam was his first home run of season. He also doubled in the contest.
- Second baseman Trey McDyre led the Flames with three hits. Center fielder Jaylen Guy also had two hits for Liberty.
- Price pitched 2 1/3 scoreless innings of scoreless relief. He gave up one hit, striking out three and walking three batters.
- Britts, the final of five Liberty pitchers in the contest, recorded the final three outs of the game, inducing a fielder's choice ground out and a game-ending double play.
- Liberty turned double plays to end the eighth and ninth innings.
- Seton Hall right-fielder Connor Hood had four hits and two RBI in the game.
Turning Point With the Flames leading 5-3 in the top of the seventh, the Pirates loaded the bases against Price with two outs. Seton Hall's Jonathan Luders quickly got ahead in the count 3-1, but Price came back to run the count full and then strike out the pinch hitter to end the inning and preserve Liberty's two-run advantage.
Beyond the Box Score - With the victory, Liberty runs its record to 3-1 on its current nine-game homestand at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
- For the first time this season, the Flames posted a double-digit hit total in a game.
- Price moves into second all-time on the program's appearance list with 78. Alex Dooley (1999-02) is the program's leader with 79 career appearances. In addition, Price recorded his 212th career strikeout today, passing his former high school coach Randy Tomlin (1986-88) for ninth on the all-time list.
- Britts recorded his first save of his career with his scoreless ninth inning.
- Locklear hit his 12th career home run and his first grand slam as a Flame.
- Guy and McDyre each recorded his second multi-hit game of the season.
Up Next Liberty will square off with the Longwood Lancers at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium on Tuesday. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram