Kara Canetto went 2-for-3 with a double against Auburn.
Liberty jumped out to a 3-0 lead over No. 22 Auburn with a three-run double by Denay Griffin in the first. However, the Tigers rallied with a five-run fourth inning to defeat the Lady Flames 5-3, Saturday at Eddie C. Moore Complex.
Auburn improves to 2-1 with the win, while Liberty is looking for its first win at the 2020 NFCA Division I Leadoff Classic at 0-3.
Today's game was the first of four straight games against SEC opponents, as the Lady Flames will take on Mississippi State later today.
Scoring Summary Liberty – 1st INNING – Griffin doubles to right center, Autumn Bishop, Amber Bishop and Hudson score, 3-0
Auburn – 4th INNING – Koepke homers to right, Jones and Florian score, 3-3
Auburn – 4th INNING – Perry homers to right, inside the park, 4-3
Auburn – 4th INNING – Powell scores on a wild pitch, 5-3
Notable Numbers - Auburn outhit Liberty 5-3. The Lady Flames committed three errors compared to one for the Tigers. Both teams stranded one runner. - Auburn's Ashlee Swindle (2-1) allowed three runs, two earned, on five hits, walking two and striking out three. - Megan Johnson (0-2) drew the loss, allowing five runs on four hits with one strikeout in 3 1/3 innings pitched. Karlie Keeney pitched 2 2/3 innings of one-hit softball to keep Liberty in the game. - Madison Koepke went 1-for-3 with a three-run homer and one run scored for Auburn, while Justus Perry hit an inside-the-park homer.
- Kara Canetto went 2-for-3 with two doubles, while Denay Griffin doubled and drove in three runs and Blake Gibson (1-for-2) hit a double.
Turning Point - Liberty led 3-0 after a first-inning bases-clearing double from Denay Griffin, but that was all of the scoring Liberty managed against Auburn.
- With one out and runners on second and third in the fourth inning, Koepke homered to right field to tie it. Perry then hit an inside-the-park homer to give Auburn a 4-3 lead. After a single by Makenna Dowell, Keeney came on in relief, allowing one inherited runner to score.
Beyond the Box Score - Auburn now leads Liberty 3-0 all-time in the head-to-head series, as these two teams met twice in Auburn, Ala., in 2017. - Current Liberty assistant coach Kasey Fagan was a graduate assistant at Auburn during the 2016 and 2017 seasons before joining Liberty's coaching staff.
- Griffin has driven in Liberty's last five runs, as she hit a pinch-hit two-run homer yesterday against Illinois.
- Amber Bishop has a hit in all three of Liberty's games so far this season.
- Liberty is now 0-2 against nationally-ranked opponents so far this season. The Lady Flames will face another Top 25 team tomorrow in Ole Miss, who is 21st in the preseason NFCA Top 25.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram