Top Plays Coach Green Postgame Press Conference Keyen Green Postgame Press Conference Ashtyn Baker Postgame Press Conference After trailing Lipscomb by 14 points during the second quarter, Liberty roared back to force overtime for the second straight game, Saturday at the Vines Center. This time around, the outcome was different as Keyen Green scored 20 points, including the game-winning putback with 1:08 to play, in a 64-60 triumph.
Liberty (10-8, 3-2 ASUN) managed a season-low 16 points during the first half as Lipscomb built a 12-point halftime lead. Mired in foul trouble for much of the opening half, the junior duo of Green and Ashtyn Baker took over after the intermission. Green notched 16 of her 20 points after halftime, while 14 of Baker's 16 points came after the break, including 10 straight Liberty tallies during a pivotal third quarter. The win moves the Lady Flames into sole possession of third place in the ASUN standings.
Dressing only eight players due to injuries, Lipscomb (4-14, 1-4 ASUN) was keyed by 10 three-pointers. However, the Bisons lost their third straight game and dropped to 0-4 all-time against the Lady Flames after uncharacteristically struggling at the foul line. Lipscomb entered the game ranked No. 3 nationally with a 79.9 free throw percentage but shot just 60 percent (12-of-20) on Saturday. Leading scorer Taylor Clark (16 points) missed a foul shot with 7.8 seconds remaining in regulation which could have given her team the lead.
Box Score Highlights Liberty Individuals: Keyen Green – 20 points, 9 rebounds, 9-13 FG; Ashtyn Baker – 16 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists, 6-6 FT; Bridgette Rettstatt – 9 points, 11 rebounds.
Lipscomb Individuals: Taylor Clark – 16 points; Jalyn Holcomb – 15 points, 2-3 3FG.
Key Team Stats: Both teams struggled shooting the basketball. Liberty ended the game at 36.5 percent (23-of-63), including just 12 percent (3-of-25) from three-point range. Lipscomb shot 30.6 percent (19-of-62) from the floor, with 36 of the attempts coming from beyond the arc. The Bisons knocked down 10 triples for 27.8 percent. The Lady Flames, who came in ranked No. 301 nationally in free throw percentage, knocked down 78.9 percent (15-of-19). Liberty used its size advantage to gain the upper hand in rebounds (54-34), points in the paint (32-14) and second chance points (21-5). The Lady Flames' +20 rebound margin marked a season high and included an 18-7 edge on the glass during the fourth quarter and overtime.
Turning Point Jane Deason's three-pointer with 2:56 to play in overtime put Lipscomb on top 60-58. However, the Bisons did not score again, misfiring on their last four field goal attempts, all of which came from three-point range.
Liberty's tying and game-winning possessions both came after offensive rebounds. Baker grabbed an offensive board and then drew a foul with 1:49 to play. She knocked down both shots to tie the score at 60.
At the 1:08 mark, Green grabbed her own missed shot and put it in for what proved to be the winning hoop.
Freshman Asia Todd then iced the game with a defensive rebound and two free throws in the closing seconds.
Game Summary First Quarter • Lipscomb made four three-pointers during a 16-0 run, including a pair by Taylor Clark. Casey Collier's free throw with 35 seconds remaining in the opening period gave the Bisons a 20-8 advantage.
• The visitors owned a 20-9 lead at the end of the first quarter as Liberty shot just 26.7 percent (4-of-15) from the field and went the final 5:51 without a made field goal.
Second Quarter • Lipscomb led by as many as 14 (28-14) during a second quarter which featured only 15 total points. The Bisons owned a 28-16 halftime lead after holding Liberty to its lowest-scoring half of the season.
• Clark (13) and Jalyn Holcomb (10) both scored in double figures for Lipscomb during the first half. Meanwhile, the Lady Flames missed 12 of their 13 first-half three-point tries.
Third Quarter • Liberty opened the second half with a 16-2 run, sparked by a burst of 10 consecutive Ashtyn Baker points. Audrey Clark's triple from the right wing at the 4:10 mark briefly gave the Lady Flames a 32-30 lead.
• The score was deadlocked at 38-all at the end of the Lady Flames' 22-point period which saw them make all seven free throw tries.
Fourth Quarter • Lipscomb scored the fourth quarter's first five points before Keyen Green tallied the last four points of an 8-0 Liberty run.
• The Lady Flames never trailed again in regulation, although Lipscomb tied the score three times, including with 7.8 seconds to go when Clark split a pair of free throws.
• Baker nearly went coast to coast for a game winner but her running bank shot rimmed out and Liberty headed to OT for the second time in six days.
Overtime • Green matched Lipscomb's overtime point total with five markers during the five-minute period.
Notes and Nuggets • Green scored in double figures for the sixth straight game, three of which have been 20-point efforts.
• Green is averaging 19.8 ppg during ASUN play, including 14.4 ppg after halftime.
• Baker made all six of her free throws and has hit 19 in a row since her last miss on Dec. 3. For the season, the point guard is shooting 87.2 percent from the charity stripe.
• Baker averaged 8.0 rpg during the three-game homestand and has dished out six or more assists during three of five ASUN games.
• Rettstatt was held below 10 points for the first time in ASUN play this season, but her game-high 11 rebounds give her 10+ boards in four of five ASUN contests.
• Liberty, which lost 76-71 in overtime to North Alabama on Monday, played back-to-back overtime contests for the first time since Jan. 30 and Feb. 1, 2014. The Lady Flames lost both of those extended games, to High Point and Campbell.
• The Lady Flames are now 5-1 on Saturday this season, having posted half of their 2019-20 season victories on Saturdays.
• This marked the third time (out of eight games) Liberty has won this season when trailing at halftime.
• This is the second straight season Liberty has posted a big comeback against Lipscomb. The Lady Flames trailed by 13 points in Nashville on Jan. 29, 2019 before rallying for a 77-60 win.
Up Next Liberty will play its next two games in the Sunshine State, beginning with a Saturday matinee at Stetson (7-10, 1-3 ASUN). Tipoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. at the Edmunds Center as the Lady Flames seek their first-ever victory over the Hatters.
Date: Saturday, January 25, 2020 Location: DeLand, Fla. (Edmunds Center) TV: ESPN+ Radio: LFSN Radio (90.9 FM The Light Lynchburg) Tipoff: 1 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram