Audrey Clark contributed a career-high seven points to an 83-59 triumph at Hampton, Saturday evening.
After taking an 11-day break from competition for final exams, Liberty showed few signs of rust at Hampton Saturday evening. Three Lady Flames scored in double figures as Liberty produced a season-high point total in an 83-59 victory.
Liberty (4-6) has now won back-to-back games for the first time this season and triumphed in three of its last four outings overall. The Lady Flames shot 54.2 percent (32-of-59) from the field, paced by the junior trio of Keyen Green (17 points, 9 rebounds), Bridgette Rettstatt (16 points) and Emily Lytle (15 points, 10 rebounds).
Hampton (2-4), Liberty's first Big South opponent since leaving the conference after the 2017-18 season, made only 34.5 percent (20-of-58) of its field goal attempts during its fourth consecutive loss. The Lady Pirates have now lost six straight meetings with Liberty since their most recent victory over the Lady Flames on Jan. 11, 1996.
Box Score Highlights Other Liberty Individuals: Mya McMillian – 9 points, 4-4 FG; Nenna Lindstrom – 8 points, 2-5 3FG.
Hampton Individuals: Laren VanArsdale – 15 points, 7 assists, 3 steals; MaKayla Timmons – 14 points; Nylah Young – 11 points; Ashley Bates – 10 points.
Key Team Stats: Liberty took advantage of its size advantage, winning the rebounding battle (42-30), outscoring Hampton inside the paint (38-22) and shooting 75.8 percent (25-of-33) from two-point range. The Lady Flames dished out a season-high 25 assists on 32 made field goals and scored 28 bench points to the host Lady Pirates' seven.
Turning Point Leading by only six points at halftime, Liberty stepped on the accelerator during the second half. The Lady Flames shot 62.5 percent (20-of-32) from the field after the intermission and scored 49 points, their most in a half since a 49-point first half at ETSU on Dec. 4, 2018.
Game Summary First Quarter • Liberty used an 11-0 first-quarter run to take control early on. Six different Lady Flames scored points during the period, led by Keyen Green and Emily Lytle with seven apiece. Liberty led 23-13 after 10 minutes of play.
Second Quarter • Hampton kept it close by getting to the foul line 12 times during the second quarter. The Lady Pirates hit nine of those attempts, trimming their halftime deficit to 34-28.
Third Quarter • Liberty shot 61.5 percent (8-of-13) during the third quarter, extending its lead to 15 (55-40). Lytle tallied eight points during the period, highlighted by a triple just before the stanza's final buzzer.
Fourth Quarter • The Lady Flames nixed any chance of a comeback by hitting three triples during a 28-point final period. Eight different players scored points for Liberty, which totaled 14 bench points in the stanza.
Notes and Nuggets • Green's game-high 17 points give the redshirt junior 902 for her career. She becomes the 18th Lady Flame to tally 900+ career points.
• Rettstatt tallied 12 of her 16 points after halftime and has now reached double digits in four straight contests.
• Lytle matched her career high of 10 rebounds, recording her second double-double in the last three games. Returning to the starting lineup after three straight contests coming off the bench, she eclipsed the 500-point mark at Liberty.
• McMillian finished one point shy of a career high with her nine markers. She is shooting 11-of-13 from the field over the last three outings.
• Freshman Audrey Clark set career highs for points (7) and rebounds (4), while classmate Anjanae Mueck scored her first two collegiate points.
• Liberty has posted 80+ points in consecutive games for the first time since Dec. 16 and 19, 2017 (vs. Shippensburg and Denver).
• Liberty is now 120-2 under Head Coach Carey Green when shooting 50 percent or better from the field, including 2-0 this season.
• The Lady Flames totaled 25 assists for the first time since Jan. 29, 2019 at Lipscomb.
• Liberty and Hampton were meeting for the first time since Feb. 6, 2003. The Lady Pirates are 11-6 all-time versus the Lady Flames, but Liberty has won six consecutive head-to-head meetings and is 4-0 against Hampton under Carey Green's direction.
• Liberty, which tipped off a six-game road swing on Saturday, improved to 3-3 away from the Vines Center this season.
Up Next Liberty will continue its six-game road swing on Wednesday, making its first-ever visit to Saint Francis (Pa.) (2-6). Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. inside DeGol Arena as the Lady Flames seek their second victory over the Red Flash in as many seasons. Liberty recorded an 82-53 home win over Saint Francis on Nov. 17, 2018.
Date: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 Location: Loretto, Pa. (DeGol Arena) TV: NEC Front Row Radio: LFSN Radio (90.9 FM The Light Lynchburg) Tipoff: 7 p.m.