Liberty advanced to the NIVC quarterfinals with a 3-1 win over High Point
Liberty bounced back from a set-one loss, reeling off three straight set wins to down High Point 3-1 (22-25, 25-22, 25-20, 25-20) in the second round of the NIVC, Sunday at the Vines Center.
Liberty (21-11) advances to the NIVC quarterfinals, where the Lady Flames will face Georgia Tech on Tuesday at 7 p.m. High Point sees its season end at 21-13. The Lady Flames will look to improve to 3-0 against ACC opponents this season, as they defeated both Virginia and Virginia Tech earlier this year.
Notable Numbers • For the match, Liberty outhit High Point, .250-.190. The Lady Flames led in bocks (9-7), while the Panthers led in aces (7-4) and digs (63-61).
• Amelia Johnson led Liberty with 15 kills, adding 11 digs, while Payton Carter tied her career high with 12 kills, hitting .400. Anna Gragg scored 10 kills, while Hannah Morris posted 23 assists and 10 digs. Macy Phillips collected 16 digs, while Kailey Macy registered five blocks.
• High Point's Annie Sullivan scored a match-high 22 kills, while Megan Kratzer sent down 14 kills. Maria Miggins dished out a match-high 43 assists, while Abby Bottomley collected a match-high 26 digs.
Match Summary SET 1 • Sullivan sent down seven kills during set one for the Panthers, who outhit the Lady Flames .250-.068 on the way to a 25-22 win.
SET 2 • The Panthers led the second set 21-20, looking to build a 2-0 match lead. However, the Lady Flames outscored High Point 5-1 down the stretch to win 25-22.
SET 3 • Liberty outhit High Point .448-.100 during the set three on the way to a 25-20 win. Carter scored on all four swings during the third set.
SET 4 • The Lady Flames pulled away late in set four to win 25-20. Carter scored six kills for Liberty, who outhit High Point .333-.207 for the set.
Quick Hits • Liberty is now 32-18 against High Point in volleyball. The Panthers had won the last five meetings prior to today, as Liberty's last win in the series was a 3-0 sweep on Nov. 5, 2016 at the Vines Center. High Point ended Liberty's season in the Big South semifinal in both 2016 and 2017, so the Lady Flames avenged those setbacks.
• The Lady Flames are 11-2 at home this season, and have posted their most home wins in a single season since going 13-2 at the Vines Center in 2007.
• Morris' 994 assists are the most by a Lady Flame since Anna Willey's 1,096 assists in 2015.
• Johnson's 454 kills are tied for the fourth most by a Lady Flame in a single season under the current 25-point rally-scoring system, tied with Caroline Douglas from 2012.
• Gragg's 107 block assists are the fifth most in a single season by a Lady Flame in the 25-point rally-scoring system.
• Today was Liberty's fourth win this season after losing the first set in a match.
• Tonight's match marked the latest in the calendar year that the Lady Flames have played a match.