Top Plays Coach Green Postgame Press Conference Ashtyn Baker Postgame Press Conference Last season, UNCG's Nadine Soliman hit a game-winning three-pointer at the final buzzer to defeat Liberty. On Thursday, Soliman again played a leading role in her team's victory over the Lady Flames, posting 27 points and 10 rebounds in a 58-53 triumph at the Vines Center.
Soliman tallied eight of her points during the fourth quarter, helping UNCG improve to 3-2 in a back-and-forth battle which featured nine ties and six lead changes.
Liberty falls to 1-4 with its fourth straight setback. Three of those losses have been home setbacks to SoCon opponents and three of the defeats have come by five points or fewer.
During its annual 11 a.m. Education Day game, the Lady Flames shot a season-low 31.7 percent (19-of-60) from the field, including just 12.5 percent (2-of-16) from three-point range.
Box Score Highlights Liberty Individuals: Keyen Green – 16 points, 11 rebounds, 3 steals; Ashtyn Baker – 16 points, 7 rebounds; Asia Todd – 11 points, 6-8 FT.
Other UNCG Individuals: Aja Boyd – 12 points, 9 rebounds; Te'Ja Twitty – 8 points, 6 rebounds.
Key Team Stats: For the fifth straight game, Liberty's opponent got to the foul line more often. UNCG finished 17-of-26 from the charity stripe for 65.4 percent, while Liberty was 13-of-18 for 72.2 percent. The Lady Flames have outrebounded all five opponents in 2019-20, edging UNCG on the boards, 40-37.
Turning Point Emily Lytle tied the score at 46 with a three-point play at 5:55 of the fourth quarter. UNCG then got five straight bench points (Tori Powell layup and Alexus Willey three-pointer), taking the lead for good.
The Spartans kept Liberty at bay down the stretch as Soliman hit five of her six free throw attempts over the final 2:54.
Game Summary First Quarter • Aja Boyd scored six points during UNCG's early 8-0 run, capped off by a three-point play at the 4:42 mark which gave the visitors an 11-4 lead.
• The Lady Flames answered with nine straight points, five of which were scored by Asia Todd at the foul line.
• UNCG then finished the back-and-forth stanza with a 17-14 advantage. The two teams combined to shoot just 25.8 percent (8-of-31) from the field during the first 10 minutes but combined to make 14 free throws.
Second Quarter • Neither team led by more than four points during a tightly played second quarter. Ashtyn Baker scored six points during the half's final 1:26, including a driving layup at the buzzer which tied the halftime score at 27-all.
• Baker finished the opening half with 10 points and five rebounds for Liberty, while Nadine Soliman posted a dozen points and six boards for the visitors.
Third Quarter • Soliman tallied seven points during the first 4:27 of the second half, helping UNCG build its lead to seven points (39-32).
• After going the first half without a made three-pointer, Liberty got triples from Emily Lytle and Asia Todd in the third quarter to keep it close. The Lady Flames trailed 41-39 heading to the fourth quarter.
Fourth Quarter • A Baker layup and a Keyen Green putback hoop on Liberty's first two possessions of the fourth quarter briefly gave the Lady Flames a 43-41 edge.
• Liberty shot just 4-of-16 from the field the rest of the afternoon.
Notes and Nuggets • Baker played a team-high 36 minutes for the Lady Flames, including all 20 minutes after halftime. She tied a career high with eight field goals made and attempted a career-high 18 shots from the floor.
• Green's double-double was her first of the season, the 15th of her career and the redshirt junior's first since Feb. 17, 2018 against UNC Asheville. She also tied a career high with three steals.
• Todd scored more points on Thursday (11) than she had in her first four collegiate games combined (9) and knocked down her first three-pointer as a Lady Flame.
• Liberty falls to 8-16 all-time against UNCG after suffering its first home loss to the Spartans since Feb. 20, 1997.
• Liberty is 0-3 at home to tip off its 30th and final season at the Vines Center, with all three setbacks coming at the hands of SoCon opponents. This is the Lady Flames' first three-game home losing streak since dropping four home tilts in a row spanning the 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons.
• The game was played before a boisterous crowd of 1,841, aided by approximately 800 local schoolchildren.
Up Next Liberty will remain within the Commonwealth to face James Madison (3-1) for a Sunday matinee. The Lady Flames' final visit to the JMU Convocation Center is slated for a 2 p.m. tipoff.
Date: Sunday, November 24, 2019 Location: Harrisonburg, Va. (JMU Convocation Center) TV: FloHoops Radio: LFSN Radio (90.9 FM The Light Lynchburg) Tipoff: 2 p.m.