Liberty honored its volleyball seniors on Sunday against Kennesaw State.
Kennesaw State edged Liberty 3-1 (38-36, 20-25, 25-18, 26-24) during both teams' regular-season finale, Sunday at the Vines Center.
The Owls improved to 20-8, 13-3 in ASUN play, wrapping up second place outright for the 2019 ASUN Volleyball Championship. The Lady Flames finished the regular season at 18-10, tying with Lipscomb for third place in the ASUN at 11-5.
Notable Numbers • For the match, Liberty outhit KSU .262-.258. The Owls led in digs (58-50) and aces (9-2), while Liberty held an 11.5-7.5 advantage in blocks. It was Liberty's 13th 10-block match this season.
• Liberty honored its four seniors – Payton Carter, Casey Goodwin, Anna Gragg and Hannah Morris – with a prematch ceremony.
• Goodwin sent down a match-high 20 kills at a .444 pace, while Carter tied her career high with 12 kills, adding two aces and nine digs. Morris totaled 48 assists and four blocks. Kailey Macy posted a match-high seven blocks, while Amelia Johnson scored 10 kills.
• Lauren Chastang totaled 21 kills and 13 digs and was joined in double-figures in kills by Quin Sutphin (15), Jasmine Brown (13) and Dani Ballou (10). Lexi Broadwater dished out a match-high 59 assists and Bri Becerra served up four aces.
Head Coach Trevor Johnson "I'm proud of our seniors for competing well today. I thought Payton played a good all-around match. Casey keeps getting better and better. I thought our team fought as hard as they could for our seniors! We are now 0-0 going into next week's ASUN tournament. Our next match is our most important match."
Match Summary SET 1 • Set one featured 21 ties and eight lead changes. Liberty had nine set-point tries during the first set and the Owls cashed in on their sixth set-point attempt to win 38-36.
• The Owls outhit Liberty .333-.280 in the opening set.
SET 2 • Liberty bounced back, tying the match at one set apiece by winning set two .320-.088.
• Goodwin scored five kills on six second-set swings, while the Lady Flames posted five blocks.
SET 3 • KSU responded by hitting .480 during a 25-18 set-three victory. Chastang hit .625 with six kills during the third frame.
SET 4 • The visitors led set four 22-18 before Liberty came all the way back to tie it at 24-all. Brown then scored a kill before Broadwater served an ace to clinch the match.
Quick Hits • Liberty has posted its most conference wins in a season since going 11-5 in Big South play in 2016.
• Kennesaw State is now 4-0 all-time in volleyball against Liberty.
• Goodwin moved into sole possession of ninth place in program history with 322 career blocks.
• Today was Goodwin's sixth career 20-kill match and second this season.
• Johnson's 406 kills this season are already the fifth most in a single season in program history under the current 25-point rally-scoring system and most since Caroline Douglas' 464 kills in 2014.
• Phillips' 472 digs this season are the most by a Lady Flame since Margaret Latchford collected 477 digs in 2017.
• Carter tied her career high in kills, as she also had 12 kills at Maryland on Sept. 9, 2018.
• Today's first set was Liberty's longest set since falling 43-41 in set one at Purdue Fort Wayne on Aug. 25, 2018.
Up Next Liberty will likely be the No. 3 seed in the 2019 ASUN Volleyball Championship, which starts on Thursday at Alico Arena in Fort Myers, Fla. The official seeding and bracket will be announced later this evening.