Eva Suggs won the 200 freestyle on Friday.
The Liberty swimming & diving team, competing in the state of Utah for the first time, earned five wins on the first night of this weekend's quad meet, Friday at BYU's Richards Building Pool.
The Lady Flames won four individual events and one relay, while the host BYU Cougars claimed five individual victories and one relay. Other teams competing are UC Davis and Dixie State.
Final team scores will be decided tomorrow, with each team scoring in dual-meet fashion against the other.
Liberty Event Winners • So. Emma Hazel –1000 free (10:29.07) • Fr. Eva Suggs – 200 free (1:51.00) • Jr. Payton Keiner – 100 back (55.52) • Jr. Lindsey Cohee – 200 fly (2:02.95) • 800 freestyle relay – 7:42.10 (Suggs, Emily Manly, Hazel, Hannah Baker)
Notable • Hazel, competing in the 1000 freestyle for the first time collegiately, earned victory tonight.
• Keiner (100 back), Suggs (200 free) and Cohee (200 fly) all picked up their second win in their respective event so far this season.
• Jessica Schellenboom (100 breaststroke – 1:05.52), Colleen Donlin (50 freestyle – 23.78), Suggs (200 freestyle – 1:51.00) and Hazel (1000 freestyle – 10:29.07) all swam the fastest times in those events by a Lady Flame so far this season.
• Liberty is 2-0 all-time against BYU in swimming & diving, as the Lady Flames defeated the Cougars 232-118 on Oct. 26-27, 2018 and also downed BYU 219-173 at the 2016 Intermountain Shootout. It was BYU's first competition at Liberty in any sport.
• The Lady Flames are 4-0 all-time in the Mountain Time Zone, defeating BYU, Air Force, Utah and Colorado Mesa at the 2016 Intermountain Shootout.
• Liberty is 27-1 in its last 28 dual meets overall.
Up Next Tomorrow's competition begins at 1 p.m. Eastern time with the 400 medley relay.