Liberty falls to UNF 3-2 in overtime, Friday.
After rallying to tie the contest in the closing minutes of regulation, the No. 3 seed North Florida Ospreys escaped an upset bid by the No. 6 Liberty Flames with a penalty kick goal in overtime for a 3-2 victory in the 2019 ASUN Quarterfinals, Friday evening at FGCU Soccer Complex.
Liberty struck for two goals in the first half to take a 2-0 lead. Brayden Borutskie and Tyler Welch each netted goals to put the Flames on top at halftime. However, the Ospreys scored twice in the final two minutes of play to force overtime.
In overtime, a foul in the 18-yard box during the 99th minute lead to a penalty kick, which North Florida's Jake Hawker scored for the 3-2 victory.
Liberty's season ends at 5-13. North Florida moves to 6-7-2 and advances to play No. 2 seed FGCU, Sunday.
Scoring Summary 4' – LIBERTY – Brayden Bortutskie (Assisted by Seth Clark) 45' – LIBERTY – Tyler Welch (Unassisted) 88' – UNF – Torian Went 89' – UNF – Zane Bubb (Assisted by Jake Hawker) 99' – UNF – Jake Hawker (Penalty Kick)
Turning Point Sending extra men forward just after scoring its first goal of the contest, North Florida tied the match at 98:49. From 5 yards out near the right sideline, forward Jake Hawker lofted the ball into the 18-yard box towards the left post. There, Zane Bubb headed the ball into the goal to knot the game at 2-2 and send the contest to overtime.
Key Stats & Notes • North Florida outshot Liberty, 13-6, and held a 5-3 edge in corner kicks.
• Liberty's Brayden Bortuskie scored his first goal of his collegiate career in the contest. He combined with Flames ASUN All-Freshmen team midfielder Seth Clark on Liberty's first goal of the match. For Clark, it was his team-leading fourth assist of the year.
• Liberty's Tyler Welch netted his team-leading third goal of the year, shortly before halftime.
• Flames goalkeeper Brogan Engbers recorded three saves in the contest. Ospreys goalkeeper Padraic Gilley made two saves.
• It is the first time this season that the Flames have had a contest go to overtime. Their previous 17 games had finished in regulation.
• Liberty has qualified for the ASUN Men's Soccer Championship in each of its first two seasons in the conference.
• Last night, Liberty senior midfielder Ruben Garcia was named the 2019 ASUN Men's Soccer Scholar-Athlete of the Year. Clark was selected to the ASUN All-Freshmen team.
• Welch and Clark finish the season tied for team lead in points with six.
• Garcia finishes his Liberty career having started 41 consecutive games.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram