Freshman Adelyn Ackley wins the 2019 ASUN women's cross country individual title in a 5K program-record time of 17:08.65. (Photo by Brad Young)
Liberty's Adelyn Ackley continued her amazing freshman season on Saturday morning at the Buckingham Course, leading a 1-2 Lady Flames finish in the women's 5K individual race at the 2019 ASUN Cross Country Championships.
Ackley (program-record 17:08.65) and sophomore teammate Calli Parlier (17:10.72) sent the Lady Flames on their way to a team runner-up finish for the second time in as many seasons at this meet. Lipscomb edged Liberty 31-39 to make it back-to-back ASUN titles and eight in the last nine years for the Bisons.
Lipscomb completed a sweep of Saturday's team championships, topping Liberty by a single point (39-40) atop the men's team standings. The Flames, who repeated their runner-up finish from 2018, were paced by redshirt sophomore Felix Kandie (second place, 8K time of 24:21.77).
Women's Team Results: 1) Lipscomb – 31 2) Liberty – 39 3) Kennesaw State – 116 4) North Florida – 118 5) North Alabama – 122 6) Stetson – 172 7) NJIT – 186 8) FGCU – 209 9) Jacksonville – 225
Men's Team Results: 1) Lipscomb – 39 2) Liberty – 40 3) North Florida – 58 4) FGCU – 112 5) Stetson – 137 6) NJIT – 171 7) North Alabama – 189 8) Kennesaw State – 232 9) Jacksonville – 281
Women's 5K Individual Results (68 Total Finishers): 1) Adelyn Ackley, Liberty – 17:08.65 (Runner of the Year, Freshman of the Year, 1st Team All-Conference, All-Freshman Team, 5K Program Record) 2) Calli Parlier, Liberty – 17:10.72 (1st Team All-Conference) 3) Brooke Kingma, Lipscomb – 17:28.71 (1st Team All-Conference) 4) Grace Lahey, Lipscomb – 17:29.19 (1st Team All-Conference) 5) Hayleigh Palotti, Jacksonville – 17:31.90 (1st Team All-Conference) 6) Hannah Owens, Lipscomb – 17:33.98 (1st Team All-Conference) 7) Lauren Flynt, Lipscomb – 17:37.30 (1st Team All-Conference) 8) Sarah Hendrick, Kennesaw State – 17:40.40 (2nd Team All-Conference) 9) Phoebe Moon, North Alabama – 17:43.21 (2nd Team All-Conference) 10) Emma Bower, Liberty – 17:45.24 (2nd Team All-Conference) 11) Grace Oetting, Lipscomb – 17:45.44 (2nd Team All-Conference) 12) Priscillah Kiplagat, Liberty – 17:47.51 (2nd Team All-Conference, All-Freshman Team) 13) Kara Nix, North Alabama – 17:52.01 (2nd Team All-Conference) 14) Brittany Carnathan, Liberty – 17:57.03 (2nd Team All-Conference) 17) Naomi Armstrong, Liberty – 18:15.28 19) Jamie Anderson, Liberty – 18:22.60 25) Katie MacDougall, Liberty – 18:45.95 (All-Freshman Team) 26) Lauren Hirneisen, Liberty – 18:50.91 37) Ella Weaver, Kennesaw State – 19:25.92 (All-Freshman Team) 39) Lillian Humphries, North Alabama – 19:28.79 (All-Freshman Team)
Men's 8K Individual Results (70 Total Finishers): 1) Brent Leber, Lipscomb – 24:17.54 (Runner of the Year, 1st Team All-Conference) 2) Felix Kandie, Liberty – 24:21.77 (1st Team All-Conference) 3) Nathan Jubran, North Florida – 24:30.40 (1st Team All-Conference) 4) Ryan Drew, Liberty – 24:45.19 (1st Team All-Conference) 5) Ronald Kigen, Lipscomb – 24:49.35 (Freshman of the Year, 1st Team All-Conference, All-Freshman Team) 6) Rob Leverone, North Florida – 24:52.77 (1st Team All-Conference) 7) Caleb Olson, Liberty – 25:00.94 (1st Team All-Conference, All-Freshman Team) 8) Lucas Kiprotich, FGCU – 25:06.33 (2nd Team All-Conference) 9) Zach Israel, Lipscomb – 25:11.41 (2nd Team All-Conference) 10) Scott McKenzie, Lipscomb – 25:12.77 (2nd Team All-Conference, All-Freshman Team) 11) Andrew Stanley, Liberty – 25:15.34 (2nd Team All-Conference) 12) Jared Vazquez, North Florida – 25:17.05 (2nd Team All-Conference) 13) Austin Redondo, FGCU – 25:19.83 (2nd Team All-Conference) 14) Patrick Smith, Lipscomb – 25:21.24 (2nd Team All-Conference) 16) Joe Spitzer, Liberty – 25:23.49 (All-Freshman Team) 18) Brady Johnson, Lipscomb – 25:30.33 (All-Freshman Team) 23) Benjamin Klemmeck, Liberty – 25:45.12 30) Jacob Underwood, Liberty – 26:04.64 40) Nick Doan, Liberty – 26:22.68 43) Paul Squires, Liberty – 26:33.54
Women's Coach of the Year Nick Polk, Lipscomb
Men's Coach of the Year Nick Polk, Lipscomb
A 1-2 finish by Lady Flames Adelyn Ackley and Calli Parlier! pic.twitter.com/2Vo6lvgdMn — Liberty Track & Field (@Liberty_XCTF) November 2, 2019
A 1-2 finish by Lady Flames Adelyn Ackley and Calli Parlier! pic.twitter.com/2Vo6lvgdMn
Race Reactions • Ackley and Parlier became the first teammates to finish 1-2 in the ASUN women's race since 2014, when Lipscomb finished 1-2-3.
• Ackley and Parlier posted the Lady Flames' first-ever 1-2 finish in an NCAA Division I conference cross country championship.
• Ackley became the Lady Flames' first women's cross country individual conference champion since 2014, when Jacy Christiansen claimed the Big South title.
• No Lady Flames freshman had ever won an NCAA Division I conference cross country individual title prior to Saturday, when Ackley became the ASUN's first women's freshman champion since 1996 (Georgia State's Sarah Howard).
• Ackley became the Lady Flames' second straight ASUN Women's Freshman of the Year at this meet, following Parlier's honor in 2018.
• Ackley took down the 5K program record of 17:09, which had been set by teammate Noel Palmer on Sept. 28, 2018 at the Queen City Invite in Charlotte, N.C. Her 17:08.65 effort marked the fifth fastest winning time in meet history.
• Parlier's career-best 5K time of 17:10.72 ranks No. 3 in program history.
• Parlier is Liberty's first two-time first team All-ASUN performer in cross country.
• Liberty boasted the women's race's top three freshmen, including Ackley, Priscillah Kiplagat (12th place) and Katie MacDougall (25th place).
• Eight of the nine Lady Flames who raced clocked 5K personal-best times on the soft, sandy course, with both Kiplagat (1:15) and Brittany Carnathan (1:20) lopping more than a minute off of their previous bests.
• The Liberty men's squad posted a top-two conference finish for the 17th straight year. The Flames have placed second at six consecutive conference cross country meets, including two in the ASUN and four in the Big South Conference.
• The one-point margin separating the top two men's teams marked the closest team finish at this meet since 1999, when Georgia State and Samford tied for the men's team title.
• Kandie's runner-up 8K time of 24:21.77 was the fifth fastest clocking in meet history.
• Kandie improved from his 11th-place finish at the 2018 ASUN meet. This year's 11th-place finisher, Andrew Stanley, enjoyed a big breakthrough after failing to finish this race due to injury a year ago in Van Cortlandt Park.
• Stanley (25:15.34) and freshman Caleb Olson (seventh place, 25:00.94) both recorded 8K personal-best times on Saturday.
• Liberty put a conference-high three men's runners on the first team all-conference squad, including Kandie, Ryan Drew (fourth place) and Olson.
Up Next Liberty's top seven men's and women's runners will now prepare for the NCAA Division I Southeast Regional Championships. The meet, which will determine the qualifiers for the 2019 NCAA Division I Cross Country Championships, is slated for Nov. 15 at Panorama Farms in Earlysville, Va.
The remainder of the Flames and Lady Flames will wrap up their 2019 season at the Hokie Open, Nov. 8 in Blacksburg, Va.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram