The Liberty Flames scored the game's lone goal less than two minutes into the match and then used a solid defensive effort to down the Jacksonville Dolphins 1-0 in an ASUN Conference contest, Saturday evening at Southern Oak Stadium.
Shalom Dutey netted his first goal of the season during the second minute of play and Flames goalkeeper Brogan Engbers tied a season-high with seven saves in the victory.
With its first ASUN victory of the season, Liberty moves to 1-4 in ASUN play and 5-11 overall. Jacksonville drops to 0-4-1 in conference and 5-6-2 overall.
Scoring Summary 2' – LIBERTY – Shalom Dutey (Unassisted)
Turning Point Leading 1-0 late in the contest, the Liberty Flames turned away three shots during the final three minutes to secure the victory. Flames goalkeeper Brogan Engbers started the span with a save of a shot by Dolphins defender Habib Famuditimi off a corner kick during the 87th minute. A minute later, the Liberty defense forced a wide shot by Jacksonville forward Jose Manzo, before Engbers corralled a shot attempt from midfielder Steve Sanders, the final Jacksonville shot of the game, during the 89th minute to seal the win.
Key Stats & Notes • Jacksonville outshot visiting Liberty, 19-7, in the contest.
• Jacksonville held a 5-2 advantage in corner kicks.
• Liberty's Shalom Dutey goal was the third of the senior's career.
• Making his first start since Sept.6 at Pitt, Liberty starting goalkeeper Brogan Engbers tied a career-high and season-high with seven saves. Engbers previously made seven saves at Pitt this season and at FGCU on Oct. 9, 2018. Jacksonville goalkeeper Matt Levy did not make a stop in the contest.
• The Flames record their second shutout of 2019. Earlier in the season, Liberty blanked VMI 1-0 at Osborne Stadium on Sept. 17.
• Liberty completes the 2019 regular season with a 3-5 road record.
• With the victory, Liberty remains in contention for a spot in the ASUN Conference Soccer Championship field. The Flames clinch a spot in the six-team field with a victory over Lipscomb or a tie or a loss by Jacksonville at NJIT, next Saturday.
Up Next Liberty returns to Osborne Stadium for an ASUN Conference match, next Saturday. The Flames will host the Lipscomb Bisons in the final regular season game for both teams. Match time is 7 p.m. Before the game, Liberty hold its Senior Day ceremonies to honor its graduating seniors.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram