Rajini Fitzmaurice scored a career-high 15 kills at NJIT.
Liberty opened the second half of ASUN play with a 3-0 (25-20, 25-16, 25-18) sweep over NJIT on Friday at NJIT's Wellness & Events Center.
The Lady Flames (13-8, 6-3) had lost their last two matches prior to today's sweep, while the Highlanders fell to 1-24, 0-9 in ASUN play.
Notable Numbers • For the match, Liberty outhit NJIT .384-.170. The Lady Flames also led in blocks (8.5-5) and digs (52-30), while the Highlanders led 4-3 in aces.
• Rajini Fitzmaurice scored a career-high 15 kills at a .667 pace to lead all players, while Macy Phillips collected a match-high 20 digs. Amelia Johnson recorded eight kills and four blocks, while Aspen Thompson posted a match-high five blocks and Amaya Williams dished out 23 assists.
• Madi Busler paced NJIT with 12 kills, while Olivia Welsch served up a match-high two aces.
Head Coach Trevor Johnson "Great team win tonight! I thought our setters, Hannah and Amaya, did a great job distributing the ball. I was really impressed with Rajini and her effectiveness to score, not only in system, but out of system as well. For an outside hitter to have 15 kills and hit .667 is a really productive night! She has been working really hard and it is starting to pay off!"
Match Summary SET 1 • Early in set one, the teams were tied at 9-9. However, the Lady Flames outscored the Highlanders 16-11 from that point on, winning 25-20.
• Liberty outhit NJIT .263-.219 in the opening set despite four Highlander blocks. Fitzmaurice and Anna Gragg both scored five kills.
SET 2 • Liberty raced to a 25-16 victory in set two, outhitting the Highlanders .519 to .097. Johnson led all players with six second-set kills, while the Lady Flames posted five blocks.
SET 3 • NJIT led set three 17-14 following a Busler kill. Liberty scored the next nine points to take a 23-17 lead on the way to the 25-18 victory.
Quick Hits • Fitzmaurice became the sixth Lady Flame this season with at least one 10-kill match, registering her first career double-digit kill match this afternoon.
• Fitzmaurice's .667 hitting percentage is the best by any Liberty freshman in the rally-scoring era (since 2001) with at least 12 kills in a match. The previous freshman record was .650, set by Nicki Scripko against Radford in 2007 and tied by Sirena Vorster versus Presbyterian College in 2014.
• Liberty's .519 second-set hitting percentage was its best in a single set since hitting .522 during set one against North Florida on Sept. 29.
• Liberty is 11-2 this season in matches in which the Lady Flames win the first set.
• Liberty is now 4-0 all-time in volleyball against NJIT, sweeping both meetings this year.
• Liberty's .384 overall hitting percentage was its second best in a single match this season and best since hitting .461 against Elon on Sept. 7.
Up Next The Lady Flames will fly to Jacksonville, Fla., and will play at Jacksonville on Sunday at 1 p.m. at Swisher Gymnasium.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram