The Flames will close out the month of October, next week, when Liberty participates in the 2019 Royal Oaks Intercollegiate.
The two-day, 54-hole event is hosted by Baylor at the Royal Oaks Country Club (par 71, 7,068 yards in Dallas, Texas.
The Royal Oaks Intercollegiate will utilize the "Maxwell" tournament format where all five golfers from each school will participate in the same groups. The Liberty grouping will go off the No. 3 tee (par 4, 456 yards) to start play on Monday morning at 8:15 a.m. (CST).
The tournament is the fourth event on Liberty's five-tournament fall schedule. The Flames will wrap up their fall slate on Nov. 1-3 when Liberty travels to Ka'anapali, Hawaii, to participate in the Ka'anapali Classic Collegiate Invitational, hosted by Hawaii.
Now on The Tee – Liberty's Starting Five (2019-20 Stroke Average) • Ervin Chang (72.56) • Alexandre Fuchs (72.56) • Jonathan Yaun (72.89) • Isaac Simmons (74.25) • Zach Barbin (74.29)
Tournament Reflections – Liberty's Previous Showing at the Marquette Intercollegiate
• The Flames are making their second appearance at this tournament after first playing in this event in 2017. • Liberty finished the 2017 tournament in 10th place, carding a 10-over par 862 (282-278-302). • The Flames were in third place following the first 36 holes of the tournament, but closed the event with a final round 18-over par 302. • The event's final round was played in blustery wind conditions that saw wind speeds up to 30 MPH. • Isaiah Logue led Liberty during the tournament, finishing tied for 26th place with a 2-over par 215 (71-68-76). • Ervin Chang and Alexandre Fuchs both participated in the 2017 event. • Chang finished tied for 39th place with a 5-over par 218 (69-68-81) and Alexandre Fuchs finished tied for 49th place with a 7-over par 220 (74-72-74).
From the 18th Green – Recapping Liberty's Last Time Out
• Fuchs bookended rounds of 4-under par 68 during a three-day tournament to post his fifth career top-5 finish at the 2019 Marquette Intercollegiate, Oct. 6-8. • Fuchs finished tied for fourth place, carding a 5-under par 211 (68-75-68) at Erin Hills Golf Course (par 72, 7,551 yards), site of the 117th U.S. Open in 2017. • As a team, Liberty finished the 54-hole event in seventh place out of 12 teams with a 12-over par 876 (297-294-285). • Purdue claimed the team title with a winning score of 12-under par 855 (301-278-276).
Birdies and Bogeys – Liberty Team Notes
• Liberty was ranked No. 53 in the first Golfstat national rankings of the 2019-20 season, which was released earlier this week on Wednesday. • Liberty will be playing its second tournament of the fall without senior Kieran Vincent, who leads the Flames on the year 71.00 stroke average. Vincent is currently sidelined with an injury. • The Flames are coming off one of the most historic seasons in program history. • Liberty was consistently ranked inside the Golfstat top 25 national rankings all last season, including a program best No. 18 in March. • Liberty finished the year ranked No. 22 in the final Golfstat national rankings. • The Flames earned the program's eighth NCAA Regional appearance in the last nine years. • Liberty finished in fifth place at the NCAA Athens Regional, pushing the program to the national championship for the second time in school history. • Liberty finish 20th at the 2019 NCAA Men's Golf National Championship, the team's second best finish at the national championship. • Ervin Chang and graduated senior Gabe Lench were named to the PING All-America honorable-mention team, becoming the second and third players in program history to be named an All-American. • The Flames open the 2019-20 season with a one-shot win at the 2019 Resort Intercollegiate, Liberty's 30th tournament win in program history at the NCAA Division I level and the first since winning the Intercollegiate at the Grove title on Oct. 9, 2018.
Looking at the Field (latest Golfstat national ranking):
Baylor (No. 11) Charlotte (No. 40) Iowa (No. 69) Kansas State (No. 176) Kent State (No. 54) Liberty (No. 53) Michigan (No. 93) Nebraska (No. 119) New Mexico (No. 56) North Texas (No. 166) SMU (No. 6) UTSA (No. 108)
• Royal Oaks Country Club (Dallas, Texas) • Par 71, 7,068 yards
Following the Flames at Marquette Intercollegiate:
• Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com • Twitter @LibertyGolf • Instagram @LibertyGolf • Round 1 Tee Time: Monday at 8:15 a.m./CST (off No. 3 tee)
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram