Liberty kept its home unbeaten streak alive, sweeping NJIT (25-16, 26-24, 25-12) on Friday at the Vines Center.
The Lady Flames (12-6, 5-1 ASUN) bounced back from their first league loss by posting a 3-0 sweep of the Highlanders (1-19, 0-5), who have lost 13 straight. Liberty ran its home record this season to 7-0 and extended its home winning streak to 13 matches.
Notable Numbers • For the match, Liberty hit .286 compared to -.022 for NJIT. Liberty led in digs (36-30) and blocks (8.5-6), while both teams served up five aces.
• This was the first time this season that no Lady Flame reached double figures in kills. Anna Gragg hit .545 with a team-high eight kills, while Aspen Thompson recorded six kills at a .545 pace. Macy Phillips collected a match-high 16 digs, while Kailey Macy posted a match-best five blocks.
• NJIT's Madi Busler scored a match-high 11 kills, while Juliana Impaglia dished out a match-high 20 assists. Head Coach Trevor Johnson "I thought our setters did a nice job of distributing the ball tonight. Anna Gragg played great! It was good to get some girls in who have been working really hard in practice that don't normally play. I thought the crowd was great tonight as well for a Friday night match!"
Match Summary SET 1 • The Lady Flames controlled set one, outhitting the Highlanders .385-.067 during a 25-16 win.
SET 2 • NJIT led the second set 22-19 after a Busler kill. Liberty pulled back into a tie at 22-22 and again at 23-all. After a Highlander error gave Liberty set point, the teams traded point until Lilly Kruse's kill and ace sealed the 26-24 win.
• Liberty hit .320 in set two, compared to .222 for NJIT, while both teams served up three aces. Gragg and Busler both scored five set-two kills.
SET 3 • The hosts ran away with the final set, winning 25-12. Freshman Krissy O'Malley made her collegiate debut late in set three.
Quick Hits • Liberty is now 3-0 all-time against NJIT in volleyball.
• The Lady Flames' current 13 match home winning streak is its longest since winning 15 straight home matches from Oct. 14, 2011 through Sept. 3, 2013. Liberty has also won nine straight ASUN home matches.
• Liberty has won 13straight sets at home since a set-one loss to Virginia Tech on Sept. 7. • Liberty is 9-5 in sets decided by two points this season and 5-1 in extended sets.
• With her 12 assists tonight, Hannah Morris has passed Theresa Bream (1987-90) into 10th place in program history with 1,914 career assists.
• Casey Goodwin needs 12 more kills to become the 16th player in program history to record 1,000 or more career kills.
Up Next Liberty will remain home on Sunday, taking on Stetson at 1 p.m. at the Vines Center. Sunday's match will serve as Liberty's Dig Pink match, where the Lady Flames will be raising funds and awareness for the Side-Out Foundation.