The Flames will return to the golf course for the first time in three weeks when Liberty participates in the 2019 Marquette Intercollegiate at Erin Hills, starting Sunday morning.
The three-day, 54-hole event is hosted by Marquette at the famed Erin Hills Golf Course (par 72 7,515 yards) in Hartford, Wis., the site of the 117th U.S. Open in 2017.
The tournament is the third of five events on Liberty's 2019-20 fall golf schedule. Liberty, who finished the 2018-19 season ranked No. 22 in the final Golfstat national rankings, is returning to this event for the first time since 2016.
Now on The Tee – Liberty's Starting Five (2019-20 Stroke Average) • Ervin Chang (71.17) • Jonathan Yaun (72.50) • Alexandre Fuchs (73.67) • Isaac Simmons (74.40) • Zach Barbin (74.00) • Individual: Connor Polender (76.33)
Tournament Reflections – Liberty's Previous Showing at the Marquette Intercollegiate
• In its first-ever appearance at this event, Liberty finished in fifth place by carding a 9-over par 849 (284-287-278) at the Milwaukee Country Club. • The 2016 event was played at the Milwaukee Country Club because the Erin Hills Golf Course was preparing to host the 117th U.S. Open in 2017, where Brooks Koepka won his first of four major championships. • The Flames finished 13 strokes behind tournament winner Northwestern, who carded a winning score of 4-under par 836 (283-277-276). • Only nine players in the 65-man field finished the tournament at even par or better, including Liberty's Mickey DeMorat. • DeMorat finished tied for seventh place with an even par score of 210 (69-73-68), followed by Gabe Lench, who finished tied for 10th place with a 1-over par 211 (70-72-69).
From the 18th Green – Recapping Liberty's Last Time Out
• Following a team win at the Island Resort Intercollegiate to open the season, Liberty finished in sixth place at the 2019 Rod Myers Invitational, Sept. 14-15. • Liberty posted a score of 2-over par 866 (293-280-293) at the Duke University Golf Club (par 72, 7,154 yards). • Ervin Chang was the lone Flame to find red figures during the final round, allowing the senior to finish the event tied for fifth place with a 6-under par 210 (70-69-71).
Birdies and Bogeys – Liberty Team Notes
• The Flames are coming off one of the most historic seasons in program history. • Liberty was consistently ranked inside the Golfstat top 25 national rankings all last season, including a program best No. 18 in March. • Liberty finished the year ranked No. 22 in the final Golfstat national rankings. • The Flames earned the program's eighth NCAA Regional appearance in the last nine years. • Liberty finished in fifth place at the NCAA Athens Regional, pushing the program to the national championship for the second time in school history. • Liberty finish 20th at the 2019 NCAA Men's Golf National Championship, the team's second best finish at the national championship. • Ervin Chang and graduated senior Gabe Lench were named to the PING All-America honorable-mention team, becoming the second and third players in program history to be named an All-American. • The Flames open the 2019-20 season with a one-shot win at the 2019 Resort Intercollegiate, Liberty's 30th tournament win in program history at the NCAA Division I level and the first since winning the Intercollegiate at the Grove title on Oct. 9, 2018.
Looking at the Field:
Ball State Georgia State Indiana Liberty Marquette Miami (Ohio) Northwestern Purdue South Florida UC Davis UCLA Wisconsin
• Erin Hills Golf Course (Hartford, Wis.) • Par 72, 7,515 yards
Following the Flames at Marquette Intercollegiate:
• Live stats will be available at Golfstat.com • Twitter @LibertyGolf • Instagram @LibertyGolf • Round 1 Tee Time: Sunday at 9 a.m./CST (off No. 1 tee)
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram