Liberty swept the visiting Jacksonville Dolphins (25-15, 25-21, 25-23) on Saturday at the Vines Center, its second straight sweep to begin ASUN play.
The Lady Flames (9-5, 2-0 ASUN) run their overall winning streak to four matches, while Liberty has won 11 home matches in a row. The Dolphins fall to 4-11, 1-1 in ASUN play.
Notable Numbers • Liberty outhit Jacksonville .239-.098 for the match. The Lady Flames also led in digs (54-41), aces (4-1) and blocks (5.5-5).
• The Lady Flames' Amelia Johnson led all players with 18 kills, adding seven digs. Macy Phillips collected a match-high 19 digs and served up two aces. Rajini Fitzmaurice totaled seven kills and two aces, while Anna Gragg posted a match-high four blocks. Hannah Morris dished out 18 assists while adding six kills, six digs and three blocks.
• Mallory Mattingly scored 13 kills to lead the Dolphins, while Natalie Wehner collected 13 digs. Natalie Martin dished out a match-high 25 assists.
Head Coach Trevor Johnson "I thought Amelia had a nice match today with 18 kills. I was really impressed with our serving and passing today. As a whole this wasn't our best match, but we will take the win. Another opportunity to get better tomorrow."
Match Summary SET 1 • Liberty hit .484 during a 25-15 set-one victory while JU countered with a .077 hitting percentage. Phillips' two aces also helped keep the Dolphins off balance.
SET 2 • During set two, Liberty led 24-19 after Johnson's sixth kill of the set. The Dolphins fought off two set-point tries, but a JU error sealed the Lady Flames' 25-21 win.
• Neither team found their way offensively during the middle session, with Jacksonville holding a .111-.086 advantage in hitting percentage. SET 3 • Set three was closely contested throughout. Macy gave Liberty a 24-21 lead with a kill before the Dolphins scored the next two points. Fitzmaurice sent down a kill to clinch the 25-23 set victory and 3-0 sweep.
• Johnson scored seven kills in set three, when Liberty hit .186 as a team.
Quick Hits • Liberty is now 4-1 all-time against Jacksonville in volleyball, and has won each of the last four meetings.
• This is the second straight year that Liberty has posted back-to-back sweeps to begin ASUN play.
• Liberty's 11-match home winning streak is its longest since winning 15 straight home matches from Oct. 14, 2011 through Sept. 3, 2013.
• Liberty is 5-0 at home this season, losing just one set at the Vines Center so far. The Lady Flames hold a 12-3 home record under second-year Head Coach Trevor Johnson.
• Phillips' 19 digs are the most by a Liberty player in a three-set match so far this season.
• This is the second time this year that Johnson has scored 18 kills in a three-set match, as she also did so in a 3-0 sweep at Virginia on Sept. 10.
Up Next The Lady Flames close out their three-match ASUN-opening homestand tomorrow, hosting North Florida at 1 p.m. at the Vines Center.