Liberty posted a 3-0 (25-13, 25-21, 25-22) sweep of Davidson on Sunday at the Vines Center, finishing off a 3-0 weekend at the Liberty Invitational.
Liberty boosts its season record to 3-2, while Davidson falls to 2-4 on the season. The Lady Flames have won their home tournament for the first time since 2015. The hosts defeated Elon, Virginia Tech and Davidson this weekend, outhitting opponents a combined .302-.087.
Notable Numbers • Liberty outhit the Wildcats .306-.037 while also leading in blocks (10-3), digs (53-47) and aces (5-3)
• Liberty's Amelia Johnson led all players with 14 kills and added 11 digs for her second double-double in a row. Hannah Morris (39 assists, 10 digs) also posted her second straight double-double. Casey Goodwin scored 13 kills and tied her career high with seven blocks, while Kailey Macy recorded eight kills (.400) and six blocks. Macy Phillips collected 16 digs.
• No Davidson player recorded more than four kills. Sydney Champaigne dished out 17 assists, while Josie Treadwell contributed two aces and a match-high 17 digs.
Head Coach Trevor Johnson "Our goal this year is to get better every day. I thought we got a little better this weekend. My staff and I are proud of the effort these ladies have put in."
Match Summary SET 1 • Liberty raced to a 25-13 set-one victory, outhitting Davidson .370 to -.028. The Lady Flames also served up three aces, with Amelia Johnson contributing two of the three Liberty aces.
SET 2 • Set two featured seven ties and six lead changes. Late in the set, Davidson pulled to within two points at 19-17, but got no closer as Liberty pulled out the 25-21 win.
• Liberty continued its hot hitting in the second set, attacking at a .344 clip compared to .042 for the Wildcats.
SET 3 • During set three, Goodwin and Johnson scored six kills apiece, helping to fuel Liberty's offense. The Lady Flames also corralled 27 digs as a team during the set. Johnson's sixth kill of the set made it 24-20, and Goodwin ended it at 25-22 with a kill of her own.
Quick Hits • Liberty boosted its home winning streak to nine matches, dating to last season. It is the team's longest home winning streak since winning 15 straight home matches from Oct. 14, 2011 through Sept. 3, 2013.
• Liberty is now 5-3 all-time against Davidson in volleyball.
• Liberty's Anna Gragg was voted Tournament MVP, while Macy Phillips was named Best Libero and Hannah Morris was voted Best Setter. Best attacker went to Marisa Cerchio of Virginia Tech, while Davidson's Madeline Wynn was voted Best Middle Blocker.
• Goodwin has reached double-figures in kills in all five matches so far this season, while Phillips has collected 10 or more digs every match.
Up Next The Lady Flames finish off a span of four matches in four days, traveling to Charlottesville, Va., to take on Virginia on Tuesday night at 6:30 p.m. in Memorial Gym.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram