Complete Match Notes - Texas State Invitational Liberty at Texas State San Marcos, Texas Match Date: Friday, Aug. 30 Match Time: 1 p.m. ET Live Video: ESPN+ Live Stats: StatBroadcast Liberty vs. UNI San Marcos, Texas Match Date: Saturday, Aug. 31 Match Time: 12:30 p.m. ET Live Stats: StatBroadcast The Liberty volleyball team opens its 2019 campaign in San Marcos, Texas, playing in an invitational hosted by Texas State. The Lady Flames will take on the host Bobcats at 1 p.m. ET on Friday before facing UNI on Saturday at 12:30 p.m. ET. This is the first time in program history that Liberty has opened its volleyball season in Texas.
UNI (22) and Texas State (23) are two out of four of Liberty's opponents (also Washington State and Florida) who finished the 2018 season in the Top 25 in RPI. Liberty is one of just 12 volleyball teams in the country to open up with back-to-back matches against teams that finished with Top 25 RPIs in 2018.
STARTING ROTATION 1. Liberty went 15-17 last season, and posted a 10-6 record in conference play during its first season in the ASUN. The Lady Flames finished fourth in the ASUN standings, and they are picked fourth in the 2019 ASUN Preseason Coaches' Poll.
2. Senior middle blocker Anna Gragg is a three-time all-conference performer. She was named to the 2019 ASUN Preseason All-Conference Team. Last year, she finished the season ranked third in the ASUN in overall hitting percentage (.361) and second in conference play (.435).
3. Senior right-side hitter Casey Goodwin, a two-time all-conference selection, was a first team All-ASUN pick last year when she ranked fifth in the conference with 3.00 kills per set and led the ASUN with 40 aces. Goodwin was named to the 2019 ASUN Preseason All-Conference Team.
4. Senior setter Hannah Morris was named the 2019 Fan-Voted ASUN Preseason Setter of the Year. Morris distibuted for an offense that hit .264 in ASUN matches. She led the team with 966 assists, a total which included five 40-assist matches.
5. Second-year head coach Trevor Johnson has had a highly-successul coaching career. Including his time at Concordia (Calif.) and Liberty, he has posted a 101-31 career record. He coached the Concordia men's team to an NAIA National Championship in 2013. One of his players on that team, Brett Anema, is in his second year as an assistant coach at Liberty.
6. Liberty welcomes six newcomers, including five freshmen and transfer junior Macy Phillips. Phillips, a libero, comes to Liberty from Florida, where she was a reserve on the Gators' national finalist squad in 2017.
7. Liberty has gone 8-23 in season openers during the NCAA Division I era, since 1988. The Lady Flames are looking to win their season opener for the first time since sweeping UNCG to start the 2015 season.
Team Notes - Lilly Kruse was the ninth Liberty player to score at least 10 kills in a single match last season. The 2018 Lady Flames set a program record for most players to record a 10-kill match in a single season, breaking the previous mark of eight, last set in 2013.
- Liberty hit .300 or better six times in conference play last year. The Lady Flames' .233 overall hitting percentage ranked 72nd in the nation. Additionally, Kainah Williams (.356) and Anna Gragg (.347) posted the second and fourth-highest hitting percentages in the program's rally-scoring era.
- Liberty served up 56 more aces in 2018, 154, than the team did in 2017, when the Lady Flames registered 98 total aces on the season.
- The Lady Flames posted 10 or more blocks 12 times last season. The Lady Flames ranked 60th nationally with 2.38 blocks per set. Liberty's 276.5 blocks were the team's most blocks in a single season since posting 286 blocks in 2011.
- Seniors Anna Gragg (2018) and Casey Goodwin (2019) have both participated in US National Team tryouts.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram