Liberty pitchers Joe Adametz and Evan Brabrand made an early lead hold up, propelling the Flames past the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles 4-2, Friday evening at Swanson Stadium.
The Flames raced out to a 4-0 advantage over the first two innings, after which the duo of Adametz and Brabrand took over. Adametz pitched into the sixth, before Brabrand came on to throw four scoreless innings to close out the victory.
The Flames even their series with the Eagles at 1-1. Tomorrow's winner will be the ASUN regular season champions.
Liberty moves to 15-8 in the ASUN and 37-17 overall. Florida Gulf Coast drops to 15-7 in conference and 33-19 overall.
Box Score Highlights Records: Liberty (37-17, 15-8 ASUN); Florida Gulf Coast (33-19, 15-7 ASUN) Location: Fort Myers, Fla. (Swanson Stadium) Attendance: 233 WP: Joe Adametz (7-2) | LP: Justin Gill (1-5) | SV: Evan Brabrand (11)
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Highfill singles, Locklear scores, 1-0 LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Betts singles, Highfill and Mathieu score, 3-0 LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Locklear flies out, McDyre scores, 4-0 FGCU – 4th INNING – Gilmore singles, Kinker and Gonzalez score, 4-2
Notable Numbers - Florida Gulf Coast had eight hits in the contest. Liberty collected six hits and committed the game's only error.
- Adametz allowed two runs on seven hits, before leaving after a leadoff single in the sixth inning. He struck out five and walked one.
- Brabrand gave up one hit during his four scoreless innings, his longest outing for a save, this season. He struck out two and did not walk a batter.
- With two hits in the contest, Liberty third baseman Tyler Galazin records back-to-back multi-hit games. The third baseman collected three hits last night.
- FGCU left-hander Gus Carter pitched a career-high six innings after coming on to begin the second inning in relief of starter Justin Gill. He allowed one run on two hits, striking out a career-high seven and walking three. He retired nine batters in a row during his outing.
Turning Point With the Flames leading 4-2, FGCU left fielder Keith Stevens opened the home half of the sixth inning with a single off of Adametz. Liberty went to the bullpen, summoning Brabrand. The right-hander proceed to retire the next three Eagle batters to end the threat as FGCU squandered the leadoff hit.
Beyond the Box Score - With the series even, the winner of tomorrow's contest between the Flames and the Eagles will claim the ASUN Conference regular season title and the No. 1 seed for the ASUN Baseball Championship, starting Wednesday in DeLand, Fla.
- Liberty becomes the first ASUN team to defeat FGCU at Swanson Stadium, this season. The Eagles were 10-0 in conference games at home in 2019 prior to Friday.
- Liberty remains unbeaten when leading after seven innings, moving to 31-0. In addition, the Flames scored first tonight to extend their record to 26-5 when plating the first run of a contest.
- Brabrand recorded his 11th save of the season in the contest. The right-hander's total is third most in a single season in program history.
- Galazin has had at least one hit in each of his last eight games, tying a career-high. The third baseman has recorded an eight-game hitting streak three times during his Liberty career.
- With a two-run single and walk in the contest, Gray Betts extended his reached base streak to 29 consecutive games, the longest by a Flame this season.
Up Next Liberty and Florida Gulf Coast will wrap up their 2019 regular seasons, tomorrow at Swanson Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram