Senior Tyler Galazin had three hits and belted a three-run home run and Noah Skirrow and Garret Price combined on a four-hit shutout, as the Liberty Flames sailed past the Lipscomb Bisons 11-0 on Senior Day at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
Honored before the game, third baseman Galazin recorded his third three-hit game of the year and also scored two runs.
Flames second baseman Will Wagner led all players in the contest with four hits, including a two-run home run, and scored three times. First baseman Logan Mathieu also had two hits and hit a two-run home run for Liberty.
Skirrow pitched seven scoreless innings, before giving way to Price, who completed the blanking.
With the win, Liberty takes the ASUN Conference series, two games to one. The Flames move to 14-7 in ASUN play and 35-16 overall. Lipscomb falls to 11-10 in conference action and 27-23 overall.
Box Score Highlights Records: Lipscomb (27-23, 11-10 ASUN); Liberty (35-16, 14-7 ASUN) Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Liberty Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 1,193 WP: Noah Skirrow (4-5) | LP: Joshua Colon (5-4)
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Locklear doubles, Betts scored, 1-0 LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Highfill singles, Wagner scores, 2-0 LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Galazin homers, Rohrer and Wagner score, 5-0 LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Betts singles, Galazin scores, 7-0 LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Wagner homers, Mathieu scores, 9-0 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Mathieu homers, Locklear scores, 11-0 Notable Numbers - Liberty collected 16 hits, while holding Lipscomb to four. The Bisons committed the only error of the game.
- Skirrow gave up three hits over seven innings of work. He struck out seven and walked four. Price yielded on hit and struck out two during the final two innings to complete the shutout.
- Wagner records his second four-hit game of his season, a career-high. The second baseman counted his fourth home run of the season and a double among his hits.
- Galazin connected on his second home run of the season, while Mathieu blasted his sixth of the year.
- Liberty shortstop Cam Locklear also had two hits in the contest. Locklear leads the Flames with 16 multi-hit games.
Turning Point Leading 2-0, the Flames extended their advantage on Galazin's home run in the fifth. Wagner opened the bottom of the inning with a single and all runners were safe on a throwing error on a fielder's choice by Bisons first baseman Cade Sorrells. Galazin followed by lining a 1-1 pitch over the left field wall and into the Liberty bullpen, pushing the Flames advantage to 5-0.
Beyond the Box Score - Before the contest, the five Liberty seniors were recognized. Along with Galazin, pitcher Evan Brabrand and outfielders Brady Heid, Ayden Karraker and John O'Connor were honored.
- Liberty did not lose a three-game weekend series at home this season. With today's victory, the Flames move to 24-5 at home.
- The Flames have qualified for the six-team ASUN Conference Baseball Championship, May 22-25 in DeLand, Fla. Next week, Liberty finishes their conference regular season at Florida Gulf Coast. The winner of the series will be the ASUN regular season champions and the tournament's top seed.
- Liberty has now pitched seven shutouts, all combined. It is the most shutouts for the Flames since the 2014 team's nine.
- Galazin hit his first home run of the season at Liberty Baseball Stadium, this afternoon. His last one at the facility was a walk-off home run on May 24, 2018 in 3-2 win in 10 innings over Radford in a Big South Championship contest.
- Liberty left fielder Betts continued the longest reached base streak by a Flame this season in the contest. The freshman extended his streak to 26 consecutive games with a single and two bases on balls.
Up Next The Flames close out their regular season home schedule, Tuesday. Liberty will host the Duke Blue Devils at Liberty Baseball Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m. Last Wednesday, the Flames defeated the Blue Devils 9-3 in Durham, N.C.