Emily Sweat had two hits in game two.
Liberty bounced back from a series-opening setback to North Alabama, taking game two by a 3-1 score, Saturday at Hilda B. Anderson Softball Complex.
The Lady Flames (35-17) are now second in the ASUN standings with a 16-4 conference record. The Lions fall to 22-18, 7-10 in ASUN play.
Today's doubleheader featured just five combined runs scored, as North Alabama won game one, 1-0. Liberty will look to post its sixth ASUN series victory in a row with a win tomorrow.
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Amber Bishop homers to center, 1-0
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Sweat doubles to right, Robertson advances to third, Amader scores, 2-0
LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Harris singles, bunt, Madison Via scores, 3-0
NORTH ALABAMA – 4th INNING – Ray reaches on fielder's choice, de Ruiter out at second, Honeycutt advances, Brown scores, 3-1
Notable Numbers - Liberty and North Alabama both registered nine hits and one error. The Lady Flames (11) and Lions (10) combined to leave 21 runners on base.
- Chase Cassady (12-2) earned the win, yielding one unearned run on nine hits, striking out four in 6 1/3 innings pitched. Julia DiMartino picked up her ASUN-leading fifth save of the year, striking out both batters she faced in the seventh.
- Jensen Strickland (0-4) drew the loss, allowing two runs on five hits with three strikeouts and one walk in three innings pitched. Sidney Revels yielded one run on four hits in 1 1/3 innings of work before Laken Distefano pitched 2 2/3 hitless frames.
- Amber Bishop hit her ASUN-best 12th homer, while Madison Via recorded her conference-leading fifth triple. Jaclyn Amader and Emily Sweat both had two hits.
- North Alabama's Madison Daniel, Veronica Westfall, Harley Stokes and Lexie Harper all recorded two hits.
Turning Point - Liberty went ahead with a two-out rally in third. Bishop hit a solo homer to center before Amader and Sarah Robertson had back-to-back bunt singles. Emily Sweat made it 2-0 with an RBI single.
- The Lady Flames added a fourth-inning tally. Via tripled to right with one out and Kayla Harris laid down a perfect bunt to push Via across the plate for a 3-0 lead.
- North Alabama pulled to within 3-1 with a run in the bottom of the fourth, but left two runners on base to end the fourth, fifth and sixth innings.
Beyond the Box Score - Amber Bishop is now in sole possession of fourth place in program history with 38 career homers, and is tied for second all-time at Liberty (Jessica Moore, 2005-07) with 229 career hits.
- Madison Via is now tied for seventh (Gina Miller, 1996-99; Sarah Robertson, 2016-present) in program history with seven career triples.
- DiMartino has each of the top two single-season saves totals in program history, with a program-record six last year and five this season.
- Sweat had her first two-hit game since April 4, 2017 at Hampton. She missed the entire 2018 season due to injury.
- Liberty is now 10-1 in games decided by exactly two runs this season.
Up Next The Lady Flames and Lions close out this weekend's series with a single game tomorrow at noon ET at Hilda B. Anderson Softball Stadium. It will be Liberty's final ASUN game of the regular season. Six ASUN teams will play conference games next week.