Jonathan Embry had two hits, including a home run in game two of a doubleheader, Saturday.
The North Carolina Aggies broke a 2-2 tie with three runs in the sixth on their way to an 8-2 victory over the Liberty Flames in game two of a doubleheader, Saturday at Liberty Baseball Stadium. With the win, the Aggies manage to split the twinbill with the Flames, as Liberty won the first game 3-0.
The Aggies scored three two-out runs in the top of the sixth and then worked out of a bases loaded threat in the bottom of the inning in the victory.
Liberty catcher Jonathan Embry had two hits and belted a home run in the contest.
The Flames fall to 29-10 overall. The Aggies move to 20-18 overall.
Box Score Highlights Records: North Carolina A&T (20-18); Liberty (29-10) Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Liberty Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 1,490 WP: Leon Davidson (1-0) | LP: Andrew McInvale (7-1) | SV: Leon Hunter (6)
Scoring Summary NC A&T – 3rd INNING – Melendez singles, Wade scores, 1-0 NC A&T – 4th INNING – Rorie doubles, Stanley scores, 2-0 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Embry homers, 2-1 LIBERTY – 5th INNING - Mathieu flies out, Wagner scores, 2-2 NC A&T – 6th INNING – Rorie singles, Norman and Stanley score, 4-2 NC A&T – 6th INNING – Wade singles, Rorie scores, 5-2 NC A&T – 8th INNING – Mack doubles, Stanley scores, 6-2 NC A&T – 9th INNING – Norman singles, King and Baber scores, 8-2
Notable Numbers - Each team had 11 hits and did not commit an error in the game.
- All eight of North Carolina A&T's runs came with two outs.
- Embry hit his sixth home run of the season in the game. He belted a solo home run in each game of the doubleheader.
- Liberty shortstop Cam Locklear, third baseman Tyler Galazin and center fielder Jaylen Guy joined Embry with two hits apiece in the contest.
- North Carolina A&T third baseman Brandon Melendez collected a game-high three hits and scored a run.
- Aggies first baseman James Roire had two hits and drove in three runs, while catcher Ryne Stanley scored three runs.
- North Carolina A&T reliever Leon Hunter did not allow a run over the final 3 1/3 innings to earn his sixth save of the year.
Turning Point After taking a three-run lead in the top of the sixth, the Flames loaded the bases with two outs in the bottom of the inning. The Aggies summoned Hunter from the bullpen and the right-hander proceed to get the next batter to bounce out to first to keep the Flames from scoring and end the inning.
Beyond the Box Score - Even with the setback, the Flames took the first two games of the three-game series. Liberty has won eight-straight weekend series.
- For the first time this season, the Flames loss a game in which they had 10 or more hits in. Liberty was 13-0 entering the contest.
- Embry hit .417 with two home runs and four RBI during the three-game series.
- With a double and two walks in the contest, second baseman Will Wagner has reached base in a 19 consecutive games. The sophomore ties first baseman Logan Mathieu for the longest reached base streak by a Flame, this season.
- Liberty pitcher Andrew McInvale takes his first loss in a Flames' uniform. The right-hander entered the game with a 7-0 record in nine starts.
Up Next The Flames will begin a nine-game road swing on Tuesday. Liberty will travel to Charlottesville, Va., for a contest with the Virginia Cavaliers. The Flames won the first meeting between the two teams 14-5 earlier in the season. First pitch at Disharoon Park is scheduled for 6 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram