Right-handers Noah Skirrow and Evan Brabrand combined to hold the visiting North Carolina A&T in check, as the Liberty Flames turned back the Aggies 5-1, Thursday evening at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
Skirrow allowed one run on five hits over 6 2/3 innings, striking out eight batters. Brabrand came on with two outs in the seventh and yielded just two hits the rest of the way.
Liberty catcher Jonathan Embry had two hits, a double and two RBI in the non-conference contest.
The Flames move to 28-9 on the season. The Aggies fall to 19-17.
Box Score Highlights Records: North Carolina A&T (19-17); Liberty (28-9) Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Liberty Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 1,693 WP: Noah Skirrow (3-3) | LP: Evan Gates (4-1)
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Guy singles, Locklear scores, 1-0 LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Betts singles, Locklear scores, 2-0 N.C. A&T – 7th INNING – Barber singles, Stanley scores, 2-1 LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Wagner doubles, Embry scores, 3-1 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Embry doubles, Locklear and Mathieu score, 5-1
Notable Numbers - Each team had seven hits.
- Liberty shortstop Cam Locklear scored three runs in the contest for the first time this season and the sixth time in his career.
- Three of Liberty's five runs came with two outs.
- North Carolina A&T starting pitcher Evan Gates gave up two runs on four hits over 5 2/3 innings.
Turning Point With runners on the corners and no score in the bottom of the fifth, Liberty center fielder Jaylen Guy battled Gates through a 10-pitch at bat, singling to plate Locklear for a 1-0 advantage.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty moves to 21-3 at Liberty Baseball Stadium, this season. The Flames have won eight of their last nine home games.
- The Flames are 20-3 when scoring first in 2019.
- With his RBI double in the seventh inning, second baseman Will Wagner has reached base in a season-high 17 consecutive games. In addition, Wagner has driven in 15 runs in his last 11 games.
- Brabrand records his ASUN-leading ninth save. His season total is fourth all-time in program history.
Up Next The Flames and Aggies will meet again in the middle game of their three-game series, tomorrow at Liberty Baseball Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m.