Trailing by a run in the eighth inning, pinch hitter Trey McDyre and second baseman Will Wagner hit solo home runs, fueling a five-run eighth to power the Liberty Flames to a 6-2 come-from-behind victory over the North Florida Ospreys, Sunday at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
With the win, Liberty posts its first-ever ASUN sweep, moving to 5-1 in conference action and 21-6 overall. The Flames have won five straight contests. UNF drops to 2-4 in ASUN play and 16-14 overall.
McDyre's home run was his second of the season, while Wagner belted his third of the year. Ben Highfill, who took over as Liberty's designated hitter in the seventh inning, also ripped a two-out, three-run double in the eighth.
Outfielders Brandon Rohrer and Jaylen Guy each collected two hits and scored a run in the contest.
Box Score Highlights Records: North Florida (16-14, 2-4 ASUN); Liberty (21-6, 5-1 ASUN) Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Liberty Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 1,326 WP: Garret Price (4-1) | LP: Eddie Miller (1-3)
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Embry doubles, Guy scores, 1-0 UNF – 6th INNING – Prather grounds out, Marabell scores, 1-1 UNF – 7th INNING – Maberry doubles, Hendricks scores, 2-1 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – McDyre homers, 2-2 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Wagner homers, 3-2 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Highfill doubles, Locklear, Rohrer and Galazin score, 6-2
Notable Numbers - Liberty had nine hits, five in the eighth inning. UNF collected six hits. Each team made two errors.
- Both of McDyre's home runs have come as a pinch hitter. His first home run provided the go-ahead run in a 4-3 win over Virginia Tech at Liberty Baseball Stadium on March 5.
- UNF reliever Eddie Miller had retired eight consecutive Flames batters prior to McDyre's round-tripper to open the bottom of the eighth.
- With his two hits today, Rohrer had two or more hits in each game of the three-game series.
- Liberty starter Joe Adametz struck out a career-high seven batters. The left-hander pitched into the seventh, allowing two runs on five hits.
Turning Point Leading off the bottom of the eighth as a pinch hitter, McDyre lifted a 1-0 pitch over the right fielder wall, tying the game at 2-2.
Beyond the Box Score - The Flames notch their second win of the season when trailing after seven innings. Liberty won 6-5 at South Carolina in 11 innings on opening day, Feb. 15. Wagner hit a two-out home run in the top of the ninth to tie the game.
- Liberty has won five in a row for the second time this season and extends its record at Liberty Baseball Stadium to 17-2 in 2018. The Flames posted a 16-3 record in the month of March.
- Wagner is now tied with first baseman Logan Mathieu for the team lead in home runs with three.
- Rohrer has had a hit in each of his last seven games. During the span, the outfielder has hit .533 and has had two or more hits in six of those contests.
- Each Liberty starting pitcher, McInvale, Skirrow and Adametz, pitched into the seventh inning this weekend.
Up Next Liberty begins a four-game road swing, Tuesday. The Flames will travel to Elon, N.C., for a contest against the Elon Phoenix. First pitch at Latham Park is scheduled for 4 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram