Andrew McInvale allowed two runs over seven innings, helping to propel the Liberty Flames past the NJIT Highlanders 8-2 at Liberty Baseball Stadium. The contest was the first-ever ASUN Conference game for the Flames.
McInvale gave up two runs, one earned, to run his record to 5-0 on the year. The right-hander tied a career-high by striking out eight Highlanders.
Flames catcher Jonathan Embry drove in three runs with a two-out single in the second inning and a bases-loaded walk in the fifth. Designated hitter Drew Baughman, center fielder Jaylen Guy and left fielder Brandon Rohrer each added two hits apiece for Liberty.
The Flames move to 1-0 in the ASUN and 16-5 overall. The Highlanders fall to 0-1 in the ASUN and 7-8-1 overall.
Box Score Highlights Records: NJIT (7-8-1, 0-1 ASUN); Liberty (16-5, 1-0 ASUN) Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Liberty Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 1,249 WP: Andrew McInvale (5-0) | LP: Jared Kasco (0-3)
Scoring Summary NJIT – 1st INNING – Cocciadiferro doubles, Marcano scores, 1-0 NJIT – 2nd INNING – Donnelly doubles, Brady scores, 2-0 LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Embry singles, Guy and Locklear score, 2-2 LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Galazin singles, Embry and Karraker score, 4-2 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Baughman singles, Rohrer score, 5-2 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Embry walks, Locklear scores, 6-2 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Wagner singles, Karraker and Baughman score, 8-2
Notable Numbers - Liberty outhit NJIT, 11-5. The Flames committed the game's only error.
- All eight of Liberty's runs came with two outs.
- McInvale has won each of his last five starts. The redshirt junior has struck out eight in a game four times this season.
- Embry collected three RBI in a game for the second time in his career. The catcher drove in three runs in a contest at Wake Forest, last season.
- No Highlander had more than one hit in the contest.
Turning Point Trailing 2-0 in the second inning, Liberty struck for four two-out runs. After right fielder Ayden Karraker walked to load the bases, Embry lined an opposite field single into left field to plate two runners and knot the game at 2-2.
Second baseman Will Wagner then walked. Third baseman Tyler Galazin followed with a two-run single to give Liberty a 4-2 lead it never relinquished.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty is in its first season as a member of the ASUN Conference. The Flames Athletics Department joined the conference in July 2018.
- This evening's contest was the first-ever meeting between NJIT and Liberty on the baseball diamond.
- Liberty moves to 13-1 at Liberty Baseball Stadium, this season. The Flames have posted a 5-1 mark through six games of their current eight game homestand, their longest of the season.
- Embry has at least one hit in each of his last eight games and has reached base in each of his last 16 games.
- Freshmen Baughman and Guy each recorded their fourth two-hit contest of the season, while Rohrer notched his third.
- First baseman Logan Mathieu's reaching base safely streak came to an end at 19 games.
Up Next Liberty and NJIT will face off again at Liberty Baseball Stadium, tomorrow afternoon. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram