Taylor Hoffman went 2-for-3 with two RBI against Kennesaw State.
Liberty narrowed a 5-3 seventh-inning deficit to one run but was unable to complete the comeback, falling 5-4 to Kennesaw State in game one of a doubleheader, Saturday at Bailey Park.
KSU (17-13, 2-0 ASUN) secured the series victory with its second straight one-run win over the Lady Flames, as yesterday's ASUN opener went to the Owls, 3-2. Liberty falls to 16-11 on the season, including 0-2 in ASUN play.
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Via doubles to right center, McFarland, Robertson and Erich score, 3-0
KSU – 4th INNING – Lee doubles down the right field line, Roth scores, 3-1
KSU – 4th INNING – Solorzano doubles down the left field line, Czyrklis advances, Lee scores, 3-2
KSU – 5th INNING – Czyrklis doubles to right, Lee and Roth score, 4-3
KSU – 5th INNING – Solorzano singles to left, Czyrklis scores, 5-3
LIBERTY – 7th INNING – See singles to center, Robertson advances, Canetto scores
Notable Numbers - Both teams recorded 10 hits and one error. Liberty left 11 runners on base, while KSU stranded seven. - Hailey Andrews (9-7) earned the win, allowing four runs on 10 hits, walking six and striking out five. - Julia DiMartino (9-5) drew the loss, giving up three runs (two earned) on eight hits, fanning two and walking one in three relief innings. Liberty starter Chase Cassady yielded two runs on two hits, with three strikeouts and one walk in three innings. - KSU's Maddie Roth went 3-for-4 with a double and two runs scored, while Jade Lee, Kira Czyrklis and Lexi Solorzano all went 2-for-3 with a double.
- For Liberty, Madison Via went 2-for-3 with a double and two RBI. Taylor Hoffman and Autumn Bishop both batted 2-for-4.
Turning Point - Via's bases-clearing double put Liberty ahead 3-0 in the third.
- KSU got two runs back in the bottom of the third, as DiMartino came on in relief. The Owls took a 5-3 lead with a three-run fourth, getting an RBI double from Czyrklis and a run-scoring single by Solorzano.
- Liberty rallied in the seventh, as Deidra See plated Kara Canetto with a pinch-hit RBI single. Andrews then walked Via to load the bases with one out. Hoffman lined out to shortstop Jessie Mullen, who threw to third baseman Jade Lee for the final out.
Beyond the Box Score - This weekend's series features the 2018 Big South champion (Liberty) and 2018 ASUN Champion (Kennesaw State).
- Liberty is now 5-4 all-time in softball against Kennesaw State.
- Autumn Bishop ran her team-leading hitting streak to 10 games.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram