Logan Mathieu greeted at home plate by Cam Locklear after hitting his second home run of the season.
Logan Mathieu doubled and hit a home run, helping to power the Liberty Flames past the Hofstra Pride 9-1, Friday evening at the Liberty Baseball Stadium.
After collecting three hits in Liberty's win over Virginia on Tuesday, Mathieu again had three hits on Friday, including his second home run of the year. The first baseman drove in three runs.
Second baseman Will Wagner joined Mathieu by connecting on his second home run of the season, a two-run shot in the fifth inning, and had two hits. Right fielder Brandon Rohrer led all hitters in the contest by going 4-for-4 with a double and two runs for the Flames.
Right-hander Andrew McInvale allowed one run on three hits over eight innings to record his fourth victory in as many outings.
Liberty moves to 13-4 on the year. Hofstra drops to 2-10.
Box Score Highlights Records: Hofstra (2-10); Liberty (13-4) Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Liberty Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 1,102 WP: Andrew McInvale (4-0) | LP: Michael James (0-3) Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Mathieu doubles, Rohrer scores, 1-0 LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Baughman doubles, Mathieu scores, 2-0 LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Galazin flies out, Embry scores, 3-0 LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Rohrer singles, Wagner scores, 4-0 LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Mathieu homers, 5-0 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Wagner homers, Wagner scores, 7-0 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Mathieu grounds out, Galazin scores, 8-0 LIBERTY – 5TH INNING – Rohrer scores on throwing error by first baseman, 9-0 HOFSTRA – 7th INNING – Quinn flies out, Friscia scores, 9-1
Notable Numbers - Liberty collected 12 hits and did not commit an error in the contest. Hofstra had three hits and made three errors.
- After ripping eight extra base hits on Tuesday, Liberty had six, Friday.
- With four hits in the contest, Rohrer set a new career high for hits in a game.
- Mathieu posted his third three-hit game of the year. He leads the Flames with six doubles.
- Wagner, the Flames' leading hitter with a .403 batting average, recorded his seventh multi-hit game of the year.
- Catcher Jonathan Embry posted his third consecutive game with two hits. He scored twice.
- McInvale pitched a season-high eight innings, striking out six and walking two. The right-hander only allowed two baserunners through the first six innings of play.
Turning Point Up 2-0, the Flames took a commanding lead in the third. With two on and no one out, third baseman Tyler Galazin lifted a fly ball to score Liberty's first run of the contest. Rohrer followed with a RBI single, and Mathieu followed with his home run for a 5-0 advantage.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty remains unbeaten at Liberty Baseball Stadium, running its record to 10-0 in 2019.
- The Flames and the Pride are meeting for only the second time in program history this weekend and the first at Liberty Baseball Stadium. The two teams met in 2005 in a three-game series at Liberty's former home, Worthington Stadium.
- Mathieu has reached base safely in each of Liberty's 17 games this season. In addition, the sophomore has reached base in eight of his last nine at bats.
- With a single in the third, Wagner extended his team-high hitting streak to 12 games.
- Galazin has reached base safely in nine straight contests. The third baseman walked, knocked in a run with a sacrifice fly and scored a run in the game.
Up Next Liberty and Hofstra will face off in the middle game of their three-game series, tomorrow at Liberty Baseball Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram