Liberty plated seven runs in the fifth inning, as the Flames overwhelmed the Virginia Cavaliers 14-5, Wednesday afternoon at Liberty Baseball Stadium.
Trailing 3-0, the host Flames sent 11 men to the plate in the bottom of the fifth, pounding out seven hits, including six extra base hits. Five of the hits were doubles, while shortstop Cam Locklear, who had two hits and three RBI in the contest, belted a two-run home run in the seven-run outburst.
Liberty first baseman Logan Mathieu went 3-for-3 with two doubles, two RBI and two runs scored in the contest. Center fielder Jaylen Guy added three hits and a double and scored two runs for the Flames, who collected a season-high 14 hits in the game.
Liberty moves to 12-4 on the season. The Flames have won 11 out of their last 13 contests. Virginia falls to 8-8.
Box Score Highlights Records: Virginia (8-8); Liberty (12-4) Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Liberty Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 1,664 WP: Mason Meyer (2-2) | LP: Kyle Whitten (0-1)
Scoring Summary VIRGINIA – 2nd INNING – Simmons doubles, Rivoli scores, 1-0 VIRGINIA – 2nd INNING – Tappen singles, Simmons scores, 2-0 VIRGINIA – 2nd INNING - Eikhoff triples, Tappen scores, 3-0 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Embry doubles, Guy scores, 3-1 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Wagner doubles, Embry and Heid score, 3-3 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Galazin doubles, Wagner scores, 4-3 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Mathieu doubles, Galazin scores, 5-3 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Locklear homers, Mathieu scores, 7-3 LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Mathieu walks, Embry scores, 8-3 LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Galazin scores on wild pitch, 9-3 VIRGINIA – 8th INNING – Tappen grounds out, Rivoli scores, 9-4 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Locklear singles, Galazin scores, 10-4 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Betts hit by pitch, Rohrer scores, 11-4 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Guy reaches on a fielder's choice, Mathieu scores, 12-4 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Baughman doubles, Guy and Betts score, 14-4 VIRGINIA – 9th INNING – Kent singles, Weiller scores, 14-5 Notable Numbers - Liberty collected 14 hits, a season-high. Virginia had eight hits and committed an error.
- The Flames had eight extra base hits in the contest. Liberty had seven doubles to go along with Locklear's home run.
- Locklear's home run was his first of the season. The shortstop drove in three runs in a contest for the second time this season and now leads the Flames with 15 RBI.
- Mathieu posts his second three-hit game of the year. The first baseman also walked twice, reaching base safely in all five of his plate appearances.
- Guy records his first three-hit game of his college career. The freshman also stole his team-leading eighth base of the year.
- Virginia used four pitchers in the fifth inning and ended up having eight pitchers take the mound in the contest.
Turning Point Trailing 3-0 in the bottom of the fifth, Liberty's first five batters of the inning reached base, as the Flames took the lead. Guy led off the inning by legging out a double to left field and designated hitter Brady Heid walked. Catcher Jonathan Embry and second baseman Will Wagner then ripped back-to-back doubles, tying the game at 3-3. Third baseman Tyler Galazin followed with a double to plate Wagner and give the Flames a 4-3 edge.
Liberty went on to extended its advantage with three more runs in the inning, including two on a Locklear's blast over the left field wall.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty remains unbeaten at Liberty Baseball Stadium, running its record to 9-0 at home in 2019.
- The Flames snap a nine-game losing skid against the Cavaliers. Liberty had not defeated Virginia since 2012.
- The contest opened an eight-game homestand for the Flames, their longest of the 2019 season.
- Mathieu has reached base safely in each of Liberty's 16 games this season.
- With his double in the fifth, Wagner extended his team-high hitting streak to 11 games.
- Locklear has at least one RBI in each of his last eight games. During the span, he has driven in 12 runs. The shortstop also has collected a hit in each of his last six games.
- Galazin extended his hit streak to eight, tying a career-high for the senior infielder
Up Next Liberty will square off with the Hofstra Pride in a three-game series, this weekend at the Liberty Baseball Stadium. The series is scheduled to get underway, Friday at 3 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram