The Liberty Flames downed the USF Bulls 5-4, Sunday afternoon at USF Baseball Stadium. With the victory, the Flames take the three-game series, two games to one.
Liberty third baseman Tyler Galazin had three hits and drove in three runs in the contest.
The Flames, who have won 10 of their last 12 contests, move to 11-4 on the year. The Bulls drop to 7-6.
Box Score Highlights Records: Liberty (11-4); USF (7-6) Location: Tampa, Fla. (USF Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 685 WP: Garret Price (2-1) | LP: Noah Yager (0-1) | SV: Evan Brabrand (4)
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Locklear walks, Wagner scores, 1-0 LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Galazin singles, Embry scores, 2-0 USF – 3rd INNING – Santos singles, Gonzalez scores, 2-1 USF – 3rd INNING – Genord flies out, Santos scores, 2-2 LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Galazin singles, Embry scores, 3-2 USF – 4th INNING – Sullivan singles, Bello scores, 3-3 LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Betts grounds out, Mathieu scores, 4-3 LIBERTY – 8th INNING – Galazin singles, Guy scores, 5-3 USF – 8th INNING – Genord homers, 5-4
Notable Numbers - Liberty outhit USF. 10-9. Each team committed an error.
- The Flames left 13 men on base. The Bulls left six on.
- Galazin collected his fourth multi-hit game of the season. All three of Galazin's hits produced two-out runs, including an important insurance run to make it 5-3 in the top of the eighth.
- Catcher John Embry reached base three times in the contest. Embry posted his third multi-hit game of the season and walked, scoring twice.
- Second baseman Will Wagner reached base in each of his four at bats, singling and walking three times.
- Evan Brabrand retired all six batters he faced after coming in the eighth in relief of Garret Price. Brabrand struck out three in recording his fourth save.
- Bulls first baseman Joe Genord hit his fourth home run of the year, a solo round tripper to lead off the bottom of the eighth. He also knocked in two of USF's two runs in the contest.
- The Flames chased USF starter Baron Stuart after two innings. The Bulls ended up using five pitchers in the contest.
Turning Point In the bottom of the fourth with two out, Bulls catcher Jake Sullivan singled to left field, scoring third baseman Alex Bello to tie the contest at 3-3. Second baseman Jordan Santos attempted to give USF the lead, but was thrown out at the plate to end the inning.
Liberty scored in the fifth and never trailed after that behind Price and Brabrand.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty takes the three-game series, winning game one and game three. The Flames defeated the Bulls 6-4 on Friday.
- Liberty scored first in today's contest. It is the first time in the series the Flames scored first. Liberty is 7-2 and when scoring first this season.
- Brabrand has either recorded a win or a save in each of his six appearances and has yet to allow a run in 15 innings of work this season.
- Wagner extended his team-high hitting streak to 10 games with a single in the fourth.
- With his three hits this afternoon, Galazin moved his hitting streak to seven games. The infielder hit .462 (6-for-13) with a home run and four RBI during the three-game series.
- Liberty shortstop Cam Locklear walked with the bases loaded in the first inning, upping his team-leading RBI total to 12. The junior has at least one RBI in each of his last six games. - Designated hitter Logan Mathieu singled and walked in the game. The sophomore has reached base safely in each of Liberty's 15 games this season.
Up Next Liberty returns to Lynchburg on Wednesday. The Flames will welcome the Virginia Cavaliers to Liberty Baseball Stadium to open an eight-game homestand. First pitch is scheduled for 3 p.m.