Tyler Galazin's home run broke a 3-3 tie in the seventh inning, Friday.
Third baseman Tyler Galazin hit a solo home run to start a three-run Liberty seventh inning, as the Flames topped the USF Bulls, 6-4, Friday evening at USF Baseball Stadium.
Trailing 2-0 after five, Liberty scored three two-out runs in the sixth inning to take a short-lived advantage, before taking the lead for good in the seventh.
Galazin and center fielder Jaylen Guy each had two hits for Liberty. Guy had a double and drove in two runs.
With the victory, the Flames extended their winning streak to a season-high five games. Liberty moves to 10-3 on the year, while USF drops to 6-5.
Box Score Highlights Records: Liberty (10-3); USF (6-4) Location: Tampa, Fla. (USF Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 1,199 WP: Andrew McInvale (3-0) | LP: Connor Eason (0-1) | SV: Evan Brabrand (3)
Scoring Summary USF – 2nd INNING – Santos doubles, Gonzalez scores, 1-0 USF- 3rd INNING – Bodrato doubles, Phillips scores, 2-0 LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Locklear flies out, Wagner scores, 2-1 LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Guy singles, Mathieu and Rohrer score, 3-2 USF – 6th INNING – Bodrato homers, 3-3 LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Galazin homers, 4-3 LIBERTY – 7TH INNING – Locklear singles, Mathieu scores, 5-3 LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Fielding error by center fielder, Rohrer scores, 6-3 USF – 8th INNING – Dietrich doubles, Bodrato scores, 6-4
Notable Numbers - Liberty collected seven hits and committed one error. USF had six hits and made one error.
- Liberty scored five of its six runs with two outs. - Galazin's homer run with two out in the top of the seventh was his first of the season.
- Guy collects his second multi-hit game of the year. The freshman had a double and also stole a base.
- Liberty right fielder Brandon Rohrer walked four times to tie a program record and scored two runs in the game. It is the second time this season that Rohrer has tied the mark.
- Flames starting pitcher Andrew McInvale struck out eight for the third time in four starts. The right-hander allowed three runs on five hits over six innings.
- USF right-hander Collin Sullivan held Liberty to one hit over the first five innings. The Flames broke through against the junior in the sixth. Sullivan ended up giving up three runs on two hits. He struck out seven and walked four.
- Bulls right fielder Austin Bodrato doubled and hit his second home run of the season in the contest.
Turning Point With the score tied at 3-3 and USF reliever Connor Eason quickly retiring the first two batters of the seventh inning, Galazin pounced on a 3-1 pitch, lining it over the left field wall to give Liberty a 4-3 advantage. The Flames tacked on two more runs in the inning to increase their lead to 6-3.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty and USF met for the first time since 2016, this evening. The Flames and the Bulls opened the 2016 season with a three-game series at USF Baseball Stadium.
- Shortstop Cam Locklear has collected seven RBI over the last four games. The junior now leads the Flames with 10 RBI.
- Second baseman Will Wagner extended his team-high hitting streak to eight games by beating out an infield single in the sixth.
- Designated hitter Logan Mathieu walked in the sixth inning and has now reached base safely all 13 Liberty games this season.
- Evan Brabrand has either recorded the win or a save in each of his five pitching appearances
Up Next Liberty and USF will meet again, tomorrow at USF Baseball Stadium in the middle game of their three-game weekend series. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram