(L-R) Julia DiMartino, Elizabeth Engler, Chase Cassady and Emily Kirby combined for a no-hitter, Thursday.
Liberty staked itself to an early four-run lead, which proved to be enough as four Lady Flames combined for a no-hitter in a 4-0 win over Quinnipiac, Thursday at Kamphuis Field at Liberty Softball Stadium.
Liberty (9-6) extended its winning streak to six games with a win in the opening game of the Liberty Softball Classic. Quinnipiac falls to 2-4 on the season.
Julia DiMartino pitched four perfect innings to start, while Elizabeth Engler, Chase Cassady and Emily Kirby each tossed one hitless inning of relief to post the second combined no-hitter in program history and 18th overall. Liberty has no-hit two out of its last three opponents, beginning with DiMartino's perfect game against Princeton on Sunday.
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Robertson homers down the left field line, 1-0 LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Amader reaches on an error by left fielder, McFarland scores, 2-0 LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Canetto triples to left center, Amader scores, 3-0 LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Via singles to center, Robertson advances, Amber Bishop scores, 4-0
Notable Numbers - Liberty outhit Quinnipiac, 6-0, with the Bobcats registering the game's only error.
- Julia DiMartino (5-3) pitched to the minimum 12 batters in her four innings of work, striking out two. Engler, Cassady and Kirby combined for three strikeouts and three walks over the final three innings. - Kendall Brundrett (1-4) drew the loss, allowing four runs, two earned, on four hits, walking three in three innings of work. - Robertson went 2-for-2 with a homer, one RBI and one run scored, while Amber Bishop doubled and Canetto tripled. Turning Point - All four of Liberty's runs came with two outs.
- With two outs in the second, Quinnipiac left fielder Brighid Douglas dropped a fly ball that allowed a run to score. Another run crossed the plate when the next batter, Kara Canetto, lined a triple to left center for a 3-0 lead. Beyond the Box Score - Liberty's only other combined no-hitter came on April 20, 2011, when Kat Johnson and Grace Nordan combined for a five-inning no-hitter against Norfolk State. - Liberty pushed its home winning streak to a program-record 23 games, dating to March 10, 2018. Only Oklahoma (34) has a longer active home winning streak among NCAA Division I softball teams. - The Lady Flames have posted four straight shutouts, and have not allowed a run in the last 28 2/3 innings pitched.
- Liberty has scored 47 unanswered runs since Wright State scored twice in the first inning last Thursday.
- The last time Liberty pitched four straight shutouts was April 7-14, 2017, when the Lady Flames shut out a program-record six consecutive opponents.
- DiMartino has retired each of the last 40 batters she has faced, dating back to a 5-3 win over Rutgers on Feb. 17. - Amber Bishop is now tied for 11th place in program history with current Liberty graduate assistant Alexia Taylor with 109 career runs scored. Up Next The Lady Flames continue the Liberty Softball Classic with two games tomorrow. Liberty will take on Rutgers at 5 p.m. before facing Robert Morris at 7 p.m. This will be the third meeting between Liberty and Rutgers this year, as the Lady Flames won the first two meetings while competing at the Texas A&M Invitational two weeks ago.