The combination of pitchers Andrew McInvale and Evan Brabrand helped propel the Liberty Flames past the Delaware Blue Hens, 5-4, on a dreary afternoon at Liberty Baseball Stadium, Friday.
McInvale pitched six innings, allowing four runs, but only two earned, to record his first career victory at Liberty. Brabrand took over in the seventh inning and shut down the Blue Hens the rest of the way in the victory.
The Flames raced out to a 5-0 advantage after two innings of play before the Blue Hens pushed Liberty later in the game.
Liberty moves to 3-2, while Delaware falls to 0-4.
Box Score Highlights Records: Delaware (0-4); Liberty (3-2) Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Liberty Baseball Stadium) Attendance: 1,149 WP: Andrew McInvale (1-0) | LP: Billy Sullivan (0-2) SV: Evan Brabrand (1) Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Mathieu doubles, Rohrer and Galazin score, 2-0 LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Karraker singles, Locklear scores, 3-0 LIBERTY – 2ND INNING – Rohrer walks, Guy scores, 4-0 LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Galazin flies out, Karraker scores, 5-0 DEL – 3rd INNING – Bowren homers, Carpenter scores, 5-2 DEL – 6th INNING – McInvale error, Mohollen scores, 5-3 DEL – 6th INNING – Hutchins grounds out, DiFebbo scores, 5-4
Notable Numbers - Delaware had five hits, while Liberty collected four. The Flames made one error.
- Liberty drew 10 walks and had two batters hit by pitch. Three of the free passes scored. Delaware received two bases on balls.
- For the second straight start, McInvale struck out eight. He walked two batters. The right-hander scattered four hits.
- Brabrand earns his first save of the year and the first of his Liberty career, allowing one hit and striking out three.
- Delaware's Bowren was the only player in the contest with more than one hit. The second baseman had two hits, including his first home run of the year in the game.
Turning Point With the Flames ahead 5-4, Brabrand entered the game in the seventh in relief of McInvale and allowed only one baserunners over the next three innings. In the eighth, the Blue Hens' Bowren led off with a single and advanced to second with one out. However, Brabrand struck out the next batter and then recorded the final out of the inning by inducing a weakly hit ground ball to shortstop.
Beyond the Box Score
- Today's meeting was the first between Delaware and Liberty since 1997.
- In the sixth, the Blue Hens scored two unearned runs on a usual play. After a single put runners at first and second, McInvale thought time had been called and threw the ball out of play. But, time had not been called, allowing the runners to advance two bases. The runner on second scored because of the errant throw and the runner on first was plated by a ground by the next batter, cutting the Flames lead to 5-4.
- Brabrand has not allowed a run in 5 2/3 innings of work in 2019. He was the winner in Liberty's opening day win over South Carolina and recorded his first save as a Flame, this afternoon.
- Left fielder Brandon Rohrer returned to the Liberty line-up and walked in each of his first four at bats.
Up Next The Flames and the Blue Hens will square off again in the middle game of their three-game series, tomorrow at Liberty Baseball Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m.