Game Notes Due to inclement weather in Lynchburg, the Liberty Softball Challenge has experience schedule changes. The tournament will now begin on Thursday, as Liberty takes on Wright State at 4:30 p.m. in its home opener.
Check back to LibertyFlames.com for the latest schedule updates.
Tournament Schedule Thursday, Feb. 21 Game 1 – Liberty vs. Wright State – 4:30 p.m. Live Stats Game 2 – Liberty vs. Delaware State – 6:30 p.m. Live Stats Friday, Feb. 22 Game 3 – Valparaiso vs. Delaware State – 8 a.m. Live Stats Game 4 – Bucknell vs. Valparaiso – 10 a.m. Live Stats Game 5 – Wright State vs. Princeton – Noon Live Stats Game 6 – Bucknell vs. Wright State – 2 p.m. Live Stats Game 7 – Princeton vs. Liberty – 4 p.m. Live Stats Saturday, Feb. 23 Game 8 – Princeton vs. Valparaiso – 9 a.m. Live Stats Game 9 – Princeton vs. Bucknell – 11 a.m. Live Stats Game 10 – Valparaiso vs. Liberty – 1 p.m. Live Stats Game 11 – Bucknell vs. Delaware State – 3 p.m. Live Stats Game 12 – Delaware State vs. Wright State – 5 p.m. Live Stats Sunday, Feb. 24 Game 13 – Valparaiso vs. Wright State – 9 a.m. Live Stats Game 14 – Delaware State vs. Princeton – 11 a.m. Live Stats Game 15 – Bucknell vs. Liberty – 1 p.m. Live Stats Liberty, receiving votes in the current NFCA national poll, will play its first home games of the 2019 season this weekend, hosting the Liberty Softball Challenge at Kamphuis Field at Liberty Softball Stadium. The Lady Flames (4-6) will face Wright State (2-3), Princeton (0-0), Bucknell (1-4), Valparaiso (0-5) and Delaware State (1-1).
Liberty is 23-10 all-time in home openers, as has won its home opener in each of the first four years of the Liberty Softball Stadium.
The Lady Flames opened the season at the Puerto Vallarta College Challenge, going 1-4 while downing BYU 13-3 in the season opener. Most recently, Liberty went 3-2 last weekend at the Texas A&M Invitational, picking up two wins over Rutgers and splitting two games with No. 19 Texas A&M.
Led by two-time Big South Coach of the Year Dot Richardson, the Lady Flames qualified for their first NCAA Regional Final in 2018, winning a program-record 49 games.
Liberty returns eight all-conference players from last year's team, led by two-time Big South Pitcher of the Year Julia DiMartino, 2019 ASUN Preseason Player of the Year Autumn Bishop and Amber Bishop. All three were named to the NFCA All-Region team each of the last two years. Autumn Bishop was named to the 2019 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year Top 50 Watch List.
Julia DiMartino was named ASUN Pitcher of the Week on Monday, after posting one win, two saves and a 0.82 ERA in four appearances at the Texas A&M Invitational. She allowed no hits in four relief innings on the weekend.
DiMartino, a two-time NFCA All-Region pitcher, is 2-3 with a 1.87 ERA, .162 opponents batting average and two saves. Freshman Braelyn Cooper has posted a 1.56 ERA in three appearances, while Chase Cassady is 1-1 with a 2.93 ERA and .200 opponents' batting average.
Madison Via leads the Lady Flames with a .360 batting average, while Amber Bishop (.353) has hit a team-leading two homers. Sarah Robertson bats .333 with a .471 on-base percentage, while Jaclyn Amader (.323) and Autumn Bishop (.321) round out Liberty's five .300 hitters. Kara Canetto leads the Lady Flames with five RBI on the season.
Bucknell head coach Joey Lye is one of 24 members of the Canadian Women's National Softball Team. One of her teammates on Team Canada is former Lady Flame Kenzie Friesen (2013-17).
Team Notes - Liberty defeated No. 19 Texas A&M 4-2 last Friday. It was the program's ninth win over a Top 25 team, and third in the last two years. The Lady Flames are 1-2 against nationally-ranked opponents this season.
- Liberty posted a 2-7 record against nationally-ranked opponents last year. The team defeated No. 24/24 Hofstra and No. 11/10 South Carolina to start the 2018 NCAA Columbia Regional. Those were Liberty's first wins over nationally-ranked opponents since 2007.
- Liberty's 13 runs scored on Feb. 8 against BYU (W, 13-3) set a new program record for runs scored in a season opener, breaking the previous record of 10, set in 1998 against Hampton.
- The Lady Flames pounded out 17 hits against BYU, their most hits in a game since registering 19 hits at Charleston Southern, April 7, 2013.
- Liberty has posted a 1.17 ERA in 30 relief innings, registering a .144 opponents' batting average. Julia DiMartino has a 0.00 ERA and .028 opponents batting average in 11 relief innings, while Chase Cassady has a 0.72 ERA in 9 2/3 innings of relief.
- Five different Liberty pitchers have gotten at least one start this season, the second time in the last three years that Liberty has used five different starting pitchers.
- Liberty scored four runs in the sixth inning to rally for a 5-3 win over Rutgers on Sunday. Going into that game, the team that scored first had won all nine of Liberty's games this season.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram