Head Coach Trevor Johnson posted his 100th career collegiate coaching victory on Thursday.
Liberty posted a 3-0 (25-23, 25-19, 25-15) sweep over Stetson, spoiling the Hatters' Senior Night on Thursday at the Edmunds Center.
The Lady Flames (14-15, 10-5 ASUN) finished off the season sweep of the Hatters and also wrapped up the fourth seed for next week's 2018 ASUN Volleyball Championship, to be held in Kennesaw, Ga. Liberty and Stetson (16-12, 8-8) will meet in next Thursday's quarterfinal round.
The win was the 100th career collegiate coaching victory for Liberty's first-year head coach Trevor Johnson. He has totaled a 100-29 overall record as a head coach between Concordia (CA) and Liberty.
Notable Numbers • For the match, Liberty outhit Stetson, .291-.136. The Lady Flames also led in blocks (10-7), digs (52-42) and aces (5-3).
• Liberty's Victoria Baptista scored a match-high 14 kills and added 13 digs for her sixth career double-double and second in a row. Hannah Morris also recorded her sixth career double-double with a match-high 37 assists and 11 digs. Anna Gragg sent down 11 kills, hitting .476. Margaret Latchford registered 15 digs and two aces and Kainah Williams posted seven blocks.
• Julie Varga led Stetson with six kills and five blocks, while Brianna Schmid also registered five blocks. Chelcie Spence collected 12 digs.
Match Summary SET 1 • Liberty led set one by five, 22-17, after a kill by Williams. Stetson fought back but still trailed 24-20 before making a late push. The Hatters fought off three set-point tries before Williams' kill sealed the 25-23 win.
• The Lady Flames outhit the Hatters, .303-.200, in the first set, while also leading 4-3 in blocks.
SET 2 • During set two, Liberty led by just three at 20-17 before pulling away later. Gragg's kill put the exclamation point on a 25-19 victory.
• Liberty hit .278 in the second set, compared to .118 for Stetson. Baptista scored five kills to lead all players during the set.
SET 3 • The Lady Flames ran away with the final set, outhitting Stetson .293-.088 during a 25-15 win.
• Baptista scored six set-three kills, including the set-clincher.
Quick Hits • Liberty has posted double-digit conference victories for the 13th time in program history and for the first time since going 11-5 in Big South play in 2016.
• Liberty's 10-5 conference record gives the Lady Flames the most conference wins by a volleyball team in its first year in the ASUN since 2012, when Northern Kentucky went 12-6.
• The Lady Flames have posted 2-0 records against the following five ASUN teams this season: Jacksonville, NJIT, North Alabama, North Florida and Stetson.
• Baptista has posted back-to-back double-doubles twice this season. The first time came when she recorded a double-double at Purdue Fort Wayne on Aug. 25 and then had a double-double on Aug. 31 against South Carolina.
Up Next The Lady Flames close out their regular-season schedule on Saturday in Fort Myers, Fla., taking on ASUN regular-season champion FGCU at 7 p.m. at Alico Arena.