Liberty hit a season-high .433 during a 3-0 (25-10, 25-19, 25-17) sweep of North Alabama in the Lady Flames' regular-season home finale, Sunday at the Vines Center.
The Lady Flames (13-13, 9-3 ASUN) have extended their winning streak to a season-best six matches, and went 6-3 on their program-record nine-match homestand which ended today. The Lions fall to 2-19, 0-12 in conference play. Liberty swept the season series from its fellow ASUN newcomer.
Liberty honored senior student-athletes Margaret Latchford and Victoria Baptista, along with student manager Emily Burnett, with a Senior Day ceremony prior to the first serve. Baptista led all players with 18 digs and Latchford collected 10 digs.
Notable Numbers • Liberty outhit UNA, .433-.055, for the match, also leading in kills (48-27), aces (4-0), digs (51-39) and blocks (8-4).
• Casey Goodwin scored a match-high 14 kills for Liberty, adding two aces and nine digs. Hannah Morris dished out a match-best 38 assists. Lilly Kruse registered seven kills and a career-high nine digs. Liberty's middle blockers (Anna Gragg, Kailey Macy, Aspen Thompson, Kainah Williams) combined to hit .703 with 20 kills and seven blocks between them.
• Madison Ruble scored a team-high eight kills for the Lions, while Genesis Benitez collected 15 digs and Jayden Davila-McClary dished out 22 assists.
Match Summary SET 1 • Liberty broken open set one, outscoring North Alabama 15-3 down the stretch on the way to a 25-10 victory.
• The Lady Flames hit .500 during the opening set, while the Lions attacked at a -.138 clip. Goodwin scored five first-set kills.
SET 2 • The hosts led set two 15-12 before going on an 8-2 run, pulling away and winning 25-19.
• Liberty attacked at a .441 pace in the middle session, compared to .125 for UNA. Gragg sent down five kills on as many swings, while North Alabama's Michay Jackson scored five kills.
SET 3 • North Alabama pulled into the lead at 13-12 following kills by Malaisia Stallworth and Jackson. Liberty scored the next four points, and the sixth lead change proved to be the last as the Lady Flames completed the sweep, 25-17.
• Set three saw Liberty outhit UNA, .385-.125, while Goodwin scored five kills.
Quick Hits • Liberty's six-match winning streak is its longest since winning eight matches in a row Sept. 30 through Oct. 22, 2016.
• The Lady Flames' .433 hitting percentage is the sixth-highest single-match hitting percentage in the program's rally scoring history and highest since hitting .457 against UNC Asheville, Nov. 17, 2017. Liberty has hit .300 or better six times this season, all in conference play.
• Gragg has scored on each of her last 12 attack attempts, hitting 6-0-6 in each of the last two matches. The junior also went over 300 career blocks on Sunday, as she currently has 302 blocks.
• Liberty is on its longest home winning streak (six matches) since recording eight straight home victories at the Vines Center from Nov. 15, 2014 through Oct. 16, 2015.
• Liberty has swept the season series from four ASUN opponents – Jacksonville, NJIT, North Alabama and North Florida.
• First-year Liberty Head Coach Trevor Johnson needs one more win for 100 for his collegiate coaching career. He has totaled a 99-27 overall record as a head coach between Concordia (CA) and Liberty.
Up Next Liberty will play its final four regular-season matches on the road, beginning on Friday as the Lady Flames take on defending ASUN champion Kennesaw State at 7 p.m. in Kennesaw, Ga. The Lady Flames then travel to face Lipscomb on Sunday.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram